Sauerkraut

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Re: Sauerkraut

Postby Bev » January 28th, 2014, 12:00 am

Alexy thingy? I'd like to his book. :D

Still haven't cracked open my glass-jarred attempt. :? So far, I've unsuccessfully mustered the courage to do so. But, it's sitting there, in my pantry, reminding me most every day, I really should check it all out. In the meantime, the chopped contents seem to have reduced to half what it was.
Bev

Postby Sprocket » January 28th, 2014, 10:05 pm

Alex Lewin - Real Food Fermentation: preserving whole fresh food with live cultures in your home kitchen. Publ. Quarry Books
It is in fact an American publication, so you should be able to get it easily if you're interested.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby Bev » January 29th, 2014, 1:40 am

Found it. Thanks. It is a goal of mine to learn how to do this well.
Bev

Postby Sprocket » February 4th, 2014, 5:29 pm

The purple one is still fermenting. I added another cabbage and two more beetroot later, because an experimental taste of it revealed it to be fearsomely hot, from the chillis, so I decided to dilute them somewhat. Another taste yesterday showed that it is now hottish, but within reasonable limits. It smells as though it's fermenting well, but I don't get the same kick in the bollocks when I take a deep lungful that I got from the previous one. Still, as long as it ferments thoroughly in the end, I'll be happy. Going to sell most of the jars at church, to raise dosh for church funds, but will keep at least one for myself.
Disaster the other day - I took the lid off for a sniff, and dropped it. It broke into many bits. I triede gluing it back together, but made a mess of it. It currently has a cereal bowl sitting upright in the top. I will have to get a slightly wider bowl, which will fit in the water channel around the outside of the top, upside-down. It'll look odd, but as long as it works, I don't mind.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby Bev » February 4th, 2014, 9:00 pm

My book entitled "Real Food Fermentation..." by Alex Lewin came in the mail yesterday. It took a long time! Anyway, I tried my jarred sauerkraut finally, and it tasted good. Interesting how everything tasted the same, and I couldn't tell a difference between the apple bits and the cabbage. The apple pieces were crisp too, which was nice.
Bev

Previous

Return to Food talk