Sauerkraut

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Re: Sauerkraut

Postby Bev » November 11th, 2013, 4:52 pm

:D

Yes, there's a "like" function on Facebook, which allows one to acknowledge a post without a reply.
Bev

Postby Sprocket » November 11th, 2013, 10:15 pm

GregB wrote:Oh, I see. Just out of interest, what happens if someone doesn't get enough "like" hits? Are they fed to the Internet Olympic Piranha Team*? :mrgreen:

Doubtless. Of course, if you do get enough hits, you escape - a case of I OPT out.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » November 11th, 2013, 10:16 pm

Bev wrote::D

Yes, there's a "like" function on Facebook, which allows one to acknowledge a post without a reply.

Also an "unlike" one, to give it a raspberry without using rude language.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » November 12th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Is the button really labelled "unlike", which is not the opposite of "like", of course? (Not that most of the back-to-front baseball cap-wearing - supremely emblematic of cretinhood - morons who now infest these ridiculous vox populi social networks would know anyway.) However, it might be a subtle version of Orwell's* Newspeak where the more emphatic forms of aversion would be "plusunlike" and "doubleplusunlike", though I doubt it - that would be too doubleplusgood to be true. :blink:

In short - though preferably not in shorts, above all (or below all) Bermudas :o - the correct form is "dislike".

[* Orwell never envisaged that the largely media-inspired dumbing down of society and its lemming-like pursuit of hedonism and instant gratification would render Big Brother redundant and a candidate for the Home For Retired Dictators, the director shown here with his nurse: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=the ... tedIndex=0 ]
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Sprocket » November 12th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Actually, you can't "dislike", only "like" - I've just checked. There are forums where you can dislike as well, I think. I don't go on Facebook much, but it's not merely the preserve of reverse-baseball-capped morons: there are some intelligent people on it as well, such as the members of various pipe-smoking groups (it goes without saying that pipe smokers are mature, intelligent, deep, thoughtful types).
Sprocket

Postby GregB » November 12th, 2013, 2:16 pm

I find it sadly irrelevant if there are some intelligent opinions expressed on it. They used to be expressed and well guarded in the treasure-filled caves of Western culture without the overwhelming presence of the Morlocks* who have now been given their moment with the opening of the Pandora's Box of the social networks, the great egalitarian con trick which elevates any stupid prick with a PC to the level of an oracle or muse in even less time than Andy Warhol's predicted 15 minutes' of fame for everyone. Cavafy's 'Barbarians At The Gates' are already inside.

Pardon my despair...

[* cf. H.G.Wells dystopic 'The Time Machine'.]
"The wiles of dissembling fate afford us the illusion of freedom, yet in the end always lead us into the same trap."
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Bev » November 12th, 2013, 2:57 pm

GregB wrote:I find it sadly irrelevant if there are some intelligent opinions expressed on it. They used to be expressed and well guarded in the treasure-filled caves of Western culture without the overwhelming presence of the Morlocks* who have now been given their moment with the opening of the Pandora's Box of the social networks, the great egalitarian con trick which elevates any stupid prick with a PC to the level of an oracle or muse in even less time than Andy Warhol's predicted 15 minutes' of fame for everyone. Cavafy's 'Barbarians At The Gates' are already inside.

Pardon my despair...

[* cf. H.G.Wells dystopic 'The Time Machine'.]

Facebook is different from forums, though. It is primarily a gathering of people who actually know each other where we use our real names. For now, you can select who you want into your circle of friends and remain invisible to others, if you like. There are some who engage in forum-like debate there, but I don't. Your treasure-filled-cave analogy explains well why I don't. When your circle of friends includes family and child-hood friends with whom you simply don't share the same intellectual interests or political/religious views, it's best to steer clear of such.

I've grown to love Facebook because of how easily it has allowed me to rekindled old friendships and especially in how its reconnected me to family members who are far away. It's hard to explain, but it's allowed back into our culture daily contact and the feeling ones family is always nearby.

Having said that, though, some do create private forums--probably much like Sprocket's pipe-smoking one. I'm part of one, but it seems to be very much like Facebook: a friendly place to catch up on what's latest in our lives.
Bev

Postby GregB » November 12th, 2013, 3:51 pm

"Include me out."
- (1) Harry S. Truman
- (2) GregB

Number (3) included out - food for thought but not food to eat. So, back to sauerkraut...
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

Postby Sprocket » November 12th, 2013, 10:18 pm

I thought "Include me out" was Sam Goldwyn, the film mogul, not Truman.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » November 13th, 2013, 7:57 am

Yes, you're right, of course. For some reason, I'd always had the idea that Truman said it, although he was never, in fact, guilty of the kind of spoken howlers which came to be known as Goldwynisms. Apart from "The buck stops here" (on a sign on his Oval Office desk), Truman's most famous quote is probably, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen", one of those folksy aphorisms with wide application. My favourite Goldwynism is, "A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on!"

A conversation between Goldwyn and George W. Bush might have been one of the greatest comedy double-acts of all time.
- Jean Cocteau
GregB

PreviousNext

Return to Food talk