Sweet Peace has an oven!

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Sweet Peace has an oven!

Postby different glory » August 7th, 2013, 3:57 am

Our good friend has finally, finally after...oh goodness, a long time!... got a new oven! :yahoo: and will be able to BAKE!

So here's a thread for us to offer her a recipe she can use in it! :clapping:
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Re: Sweet Peace has an oven!

Postby different glory » August 7th, 2013, 6:17 am

Boiled Fruit Cake

150 gms/six ounces butter
3 cups dried fruit (as, for example, half and half, sultanas and currants)
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 cup water
2 eggs
2 cups of self-raising flour

Boil in a not-too-small saucepan on your sparkly new stovetop :) the butter, fruit, sugar, spice,soda and water.
Let it cool.
Add in the beaten eggs, then fold in the flour.
Put into a cake-tin of whatever shape appeals, and bake at a moderate temperature in your wonderfully new and heat-efficient oven, :) until it's done, probably about an hour.
You can test if it's done by the straw-inserting test (when it comes out clean, the cake is done) or by the gentle pressing with a finger test (when the cake is pleasantly resilient, it's done).

:) I do hope you enjoy it!
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Bev » August 7th, 2013, 11:14 am

Congrats on the oven, SP! I've never been good at baking sweets, but I do use my oven often to bake veggies tossed first with olive oil, sea salt, and sometimes pepper. Tomatoes are wonderful! And kale crisps up nicely for a crunchy, salty snack.

All the best on your new baking adventures. :good:
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » August 8th, 2013, 10:33 am

Ooh, thanks! :clapping: I love fruit cake!!! and can't wait to get started. (How essential is the mixed spice - but then what are neighbours for?) Bev, I look forward to roast veggies, too.
I used the oven for the first time tonight to make a pasta cauliflower bake. Had trouble getting the oven temp consistent - I'll have to remember to keep an eye on it. (Like that old song -with her one eye on the pot and the other up the chimney.)
I've gone so long without an oven that while cooking next door at our healing centre during the installation time, I made my first quiche and lasagnes. Baking paper is new to me. I tried googling to see how it is made but can't decide whether I trust siliconised paper and baking trays. I certainly don't like non-stick.
The quiche I made was very clever in that you mix flour in with the egg mix and it forms its own crust as it cooks. ( Easy quiche .)
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Bev » August 8th, 2013, 3:37 pm

The cauliflower bake sounds delicious!

The crustless quiche sounds interesting too. I might give that a try, as it's easier to add whole wheat flour--and without the fat needed to make the crust, it would reduce the calories too. :good:
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » August 8th, 2013, 10:53 pm

I couldn't resist. Last night I was about to wash the dishes and go to bed, but having a hot oven sitting there ready was too tempting. I threw together about half a cup each of oats, flour, sugar, a cup of mixed fruit and nuts, and enough milk to make biscuit consistency, and baked till golden brown. Muesli slice, yum! Mind you, I was too tired to let it cool properly before putting it away but it is ok. I have a handy Pyrex dish with a steam vent lid.
Today the builder returns to do a few finishing off bits. I'll be busy for some time getting cleaned up and saving for the next round of renovations but I am thrilled to have made such a huge leap towards.
Baked pumpkin tonight. :D
Sweet Peace

Postby GregB » August 9th, 2013, 6:38 am

Make sure you bake the pumpkin before midnight, SP, or it may turn into a gilded coach (which would be pretty half baked...) :D
"We have more knowledge than those who came before us not because of our greater intelligence and understanding, but because we are dwarves sitting on the shoulders of giants who preceded us."
- Bernard of Chartres
GregB

Postby Sweet Peace » August 9th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Going well. I still have a lot to learn about how to regulate the stove and need to develop baking skills. Last night I made soy patties and baked veggies, balsamic glazed carrots and steamed veg. Today I'm more inclined to veer back to simplicity. If the kale in the garden is big enough to pick I will try that.
I suspect muesli slice is going to be a staple as it is so straightforward and doesn't need eggs or baking powder and I'll experiment with a variety of flours such as buckwheat and maize which are so nice if you can get them fresh. Our town has a grain mill so I look forward to some great flours and learning to make simple flat breads before progressing to loaves. http://nnic.org.au/pub/index.php/sustai ... grain-mill
Sweet Peace

Postby Bev » August 10th, 2013, 12:44 am

If you can offer an oven recipe for a breakfast bread, or bake that can last a few days, I'd be so interested. Breakfast is my most difficult meal, but I thought this morning--if I had a slice of something nutritious, how easy that would be! :D
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » August 10th, 2013, 9:51 am

I will let you know, Bev.
Meanwhile I goofed tonight's meal. I had cooked kidney beans and started to make patties, adding grated veg and eggs and spices, then decided to bake it instead as it would be less effort and use less oil. It was in the oven for what should have been long enough and hot enough but it came out still a bit raw. In making a veggie bake should the mixture be much less firm than for patties? Any advice appreciated.
Sweet Peace

Next

Return to Food talk