Sweet Peace has an oven!

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Re: Sweet Peace has an oven!

Postby Bev » August 10th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Sounds like it might be the same difference as cooking French toast on the stove as opposed to baking a quiche. I would lower the temp and lengthen the cook time.
Bev

Postby different glory » August 11th, 2013, 12:18 pm

SP, somewhere or other you mentioned you have kale growing in your garden, so...

here's a totally-untested-by-me recipe for Kale Brownies! Have fun! :D
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Sweet Peace » August 12th, 2013, 12:09 am

I'm starting to get the hang of the stove. Seems I have to build it up high at first, then dampen it for regular heat. I should have known that. The previous night I burnt just as much wood by trying to economise and only putting on a couple of pieces at a time.
Last night I made a tomato and broccoli quiche and some muffins. I haven't made muffins before and was overwhelmed by all the recipes online, so I made up my own improvisation by caramelising butter and raw sugar and adding that to egg, milk and about 2/3 SR flour and 1/3 buckwheat flour and currants. They are a little stodgy but okay by me. I'm excited to use DG's tip of putting a little jam in the middle next time.
What I have to get into the habit of is planning ahead. For years I hardly know what I'm cooking till it is on its way and my cookbooks rarely got used.
The temptation is to bake lots of food based on flour, sugar and dairy but I'd like to explore beyond those staples.
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Bev » August 12th, 2013, 12:39 am

I'm enjoying reading about you and your new oven. Can't imagine a good recipe that doesn't somehow include all those ingredients, but I'm sure there are some out there.
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » August 12th, 2013, 11:57 am

Yum for apple crumble and cream and ice cream. Who knew one could eat so well at home! :yahoo:
Earlier, a lentil bake. Cooked green (brown) lentils with some of those pasta that look like grains of rice added in the last seven minutes, fried onion, parboiled carrot and capsicum, mixed herbs, a little tasty cheese, and small squares of feta added near the end and browned on top. I was on the phone to my daughter at the same time so I can't quite remember what I put in it but it was delicious.
Now to start controlling portion sizes so I don't balloon out. :shock: :oops:
Unbelievable I didn't know what I was missing.
Sweet Peace

Postby GregB » August 12th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Apple crumble, cream and ice cream, SP? (Drool drool) This is sheer torture... :beg:

If I were one of the Children of Israel trekking through the wilderness at chow time, I'd definitely put in a side order of crumble and creams as my dessert in the desert and stick my portion of that boring old manna under the nearest burning bush. I might even ask for the recipe on tablets of stone ("Thou shalt select five good apples...") :mrgreen:
"A fat woman is trying to diet while an ageing spinster is dying to try it."
- Anon
GregB

Postby Sweet Peace » August 12th, 2013, 10:57 pm

:D Definitely good tucker! Crumble is a big favourite of mine, too.
Soon I will tackle bread making. I picture something made of various flours and semi-flat. I guess it will do to start small in case of failures. (All that kneading, though. What a lot of effort. I'll deserve my bread!)
Sweet Peace

Postby Bev » August 12th, 2013, 11:16 pm

My favorite bread has always been inspired by Julia Childs. She recommended a bit less yeast, no sugar, flour, more salt, and a rising overnight in the fridge. The result is a flour-salt-yeast-water bread that has the most wonderful flavor once baked and cooled. But, bread is tricky and takes a bit of practice. All the best! I would so love to hear how it turns out for you.
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » August 13th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Hmm, so if there's no sugar what feeds the yeast? Do you use dry yeast? I am keen to experiment and learn to bake a good loaf. I dusted off my Sarah Brown bread book that hasn't been used before. One of my earliest cookbooks is the New York Times Natural Foods Cookbook, published in the early 70s. My copy has slips of paper in every page with recipes that didn't need an oven. Sad to have gone so long waiting to bake -I can only scratch my head in wonder and resolve to not look back.

Tonight's effort would only rate 3 out of 10. A packet mix gluten free date loaf that was supposed to be for a meeting tomorrow. It was the first time I've tried to regulate the oven temperature steady but my minor adjustments to the air intake levers didn't change it from sitting on 170 degrees instead of 180. I'd let the cake cool for 5 min before discovering it wasn't cooked through and put it back for longer. It's passable with cream but I'm not sure if I'll take it along to share. (Sure hope there are not too many failures that I am forced to eat.)
A friend who welded the hot water tank when it sprang a leak hasn't replied yet to my email asking if she would like to be paid in quiche or cash. :grin:
Sweet Peace

Postby Bev » August 13th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Sweet Peace wrote:Hmm, so if there's no sugar what feeds the yeast? Do you use dry yeast?

Yes, I use dry yeast, but I proof it in warm water.

The yeast feeds off the flour starches. The idea, Childs says in her cookbook, is to require the yeast a longer time to do its thing. Thus, rising in the fridge.

I've made this many, many times, and the final result is amazingly good. The flavor is unique and improves upon cooling.
Bev

PreviousNext

Return to Food talk