Sweet Peace has an oven!

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Re: Sweet Peace has an oven!

Postby different glory » August 16th, 2013, 3:55 am

Thanks, Bev1 I may not have a new oven( :mrgreen: ) but I'd like to give this a go.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Sweet Peace » August 16th, 2013, 11:02 am

Here's a youtube of Julia Child cooking French Bread. She explains it well and is quite a character.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iH3hjDUhWw
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Bev » August 16th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Marvelous!! Thanks for posting this, SP. I could only read her book, and I can see by the demo with the French baker I allowed myself quite a bit of slack. :mrgreen:

Having said this, I would encourage DG to not worry too much about the details, especially given the flours can be so different. I always use unbleached flour from the grocery store, and I often ended up with a tougher, more resistant dough. The texture is different, but the overnight rising still results in a most wonderful flavor!!

Also, if you saw me swiftly cutting diagonal slices on the unbaked baguette, using a big knife, you'd gasp at such a butchering. But, the golden, fatter, loaves always looked wonderful to me and anyone I shared one with.

(This makes me want to bake bread, but it's too hot here. Winter is the best bread baking time.)
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » August 16th, 2013, 10:52 pm

I might actually look forward to it raining from now on, as I'll light the fire all day and bake. I'll definitely try the extended rising in the fridge. Perhaps I'd start in the morning so it would be ready to bake at night. The prospect of kneading for five or ten minutes daunts me, but if my muscles aren't strong enough already, all the more reason to develop them.
I've been sticking with the muesli slices. I sieve spices and SR flour (or sometimes make up part of that with buckwheat or maize flour) and add dried fruit and nuts and sometimes oats, boil up butter and brown sugar till it's partly caramelised, add together, press into a flat tray and bake at what I hope remains about 180. I'll have to get into using a timer as last night's went too long. Fine tuning would involve reading around a few more recipes and trial and error.
Cooking is such fun!
Sweet Peace

Postby Bev » August 16th, 2013, 11:36 pm

Sweet Peace wrote:I might actually look forward to it raining from now on, as I'll light the fire all day and bake. I'll definitely try the extended rising in the fridge. Perhaps I'd start in the morning so it would be ready to bake at night.

I found overnight rising best, as it took a while for the dough to come back to room temp, after which I let the second rising take place outside the fridge. After all that, I was still baking the bread in the afternoon.

I forgot to mention the misting of water. I used a spray bottle. JC's insecticide sprayer was so funny! :lol: She also suggested in her cookbook placing a hot brick (a really, really hot brick) into a pie pan of water just before you close the oven door. I tried that too, but I found the spraying more tactically satisfying.

At the time I was first spraying water into our oven, friends and family gasped with worry because we always had electric ovens. They were certain I was going to short out the whole neighborhood's electricity. Never happened, though. :mrgreen:
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » August 18th, 2013, 4:44 am

You were brave! Yes, the spray she had was a hoot.
I still have renovator's hands with ingrained paint and soot, so I've put off kneading bread. I'll give it a go soon.
Sweet Peace

Postby Bev » August 18th, 2013, 11:23 pm

After all these years, I might give Julia Child's kneading method (all that banging and slapping) a try. :lol:

She was wonderful to watch, and I want to thank you again for retrieving her old video.
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » August 18th, 2013, 11:56 pm

:good:
With my new-found cooking skills I'll be able to help make meals when I visit my parents and daughter in the next couple of weeks. I'm getting good at the quiche. Last night's chocolate muffins were easy to make, using wholemeal instead of white flour and ordinary milk instead of buttermilk didn't seem to matter. http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/food/cookbook ... oc-muffins
Sweet Peace

Postby Bev » August 19th, 2013, 12:05 am

Is "whole meal" whole wheat flour? It's not an oven thing, but years ago I purchased my own grain mill and would mill whole grain wheat as needed. The kids would love bread or pancakes made from it pointing out how the flavor was nothing like the same made with store-bought whole wheat flour. ;)

Kudos on the muffins. If I weren't fighting a growing waist-band thing, I would so try them! I love chocolate. :D
Bev

Postby Sweet Peace » August 19th, 2013, 12:09 am

Yum. I was very indulgent and used cocoa powder from Holland -so much better than the run of the mill Cadbury's, but then almost no cocoa is grown in Australia, so imported from Holland is much of a muchness.
Re flour milling, I totally agree that freshly ground is more flavoursome. In our town I can purchase grains and mill them in the shop. I just have to use up old supplies first.
I hope you have fun with that bread making.
Sweet Peace

PreviousNext

Return to Food talk