Healthy eating

Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.
Forum rules
Cooking it, growing it, eating it. Tell us your favourite recipes and tips, or ask for ideas.

Re: Healthy eating

Postby Sprocket » February 16th, 2015, 10:31 pm

I've just read about mercury in large fish such as tuna - and there's me been eating it thinking it was good for me, because it's an oily fish! Healthy eating is a bloody minefield. I'll have to stick to small oily fish from now on - herrings, sardines, mackerel, salmon (well, salmon aren't very small, but they're a lot smaller than tuna).
Apropos of nothing, I discovered from QI recently (so it must be true), that the category "fish" is so huge that many zoologists consider it useless, and think we should drop it and use various smaller categories. Salmon are genetically closer to humans than to the most primitive fish, apparently.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby Bev » February 17th, 2015, 2:17 am

Sprocket wrote:Salmon are genetically closer to humans than to the most primitive fish, apparently.

:shock:

I love salmon, but only wild-caught. All that I read indicates that it's not so much the size of the fish as it is how long it lives. Tuna and the like live a long time before they reach the optimum size for catching.

Oh, on butter, Sprocket, it really is supposed to better in small quantities. I traded margarine for butter in '81 after my father died so young from his first heart attack. I did a lot of research after he died (out of pure shock) and found that hydrogenated oils cause the liver to begin producing more cholesterol. (Our own liver, it seems, is responsible for how high our cholesterol is.) So, even though the margarine has 0% cholesterol, consuming it tricks the liver into thinking you need more. That was in 1981, but we're now hearing more often that indeed this is true.

It's always best to combine true vegetable oils (especially the monounsaturated like olive, nut and seed oils) with animal fats. Combining them provide complete essential fatty acids that together do wonderful things. :D (That's why I've added nuts or salads with olive-oil dressings to any meal that includes meat of any kind.)
Bev

Postby Lyn » March 1st, 2015, 1:52 pm

Bev you are making me mildly hungry talking about wild salman! I could eat salman every day.

I was just reading up on Quorn. I've only ever cooked the mince type Quorn but it tasted lovely - and made me feel very ill indeed. From what I have read today there is now a new type of Quorn which is wheat free so I might try that. Be interested to know if anyone else has tried it.
Lyn

Postby Bev » March 2nd, 2015, 9:23 pm

Agree on the Salmon, Vix. Have you tried it with Coconut milk and the Thai panang curry paste? That and a little sweetener (I use Stevia) is wonderful over basmati rice. Whole grain basmati is best for healthy eating though (and not whole grain basmati from Texas either! We're finding rice grown there contains very high amounts of arsenic.)

My latest health thing.... green smoothies. I'm actually enjoying them. :D
Bev

Postby Lyn » March 3rd, 2015, 11:46 am

Should have said "salmon", not "salman". Sorry.
Lyn

Postby different glory » March 9th, 2015, 7:22 am

I recently found that tofu can be frozen,then thawed, after which a good deal of the moisture can be squeezed (gently) from it, making it much readier to absorb any marinade - for instance, I have some in a marinade now with soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, and ginger.
Tastier tofu FTW!
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Previous

Return to Food talk