"I before e except after c" rule-breakers.

Forum games, jokes, stories or pictures ...
Forum rules
Forum games, jokes, stories or pictures ...

Re: "I before e except after c" rule-breakers.

Postby Lyn » June 22nd, 2017, 10:18 pm

@guaranteeing@ is clever, I wouldn't have thought of that.

caffeine
ceiling
abseiling
Lyn

Postby GregB » June 23rd, 2017, 7:57 am

Sorry to be pedantic but I don't think 'guaranteeing' counts as it's a gerund/present participle and the '-ing' component is tacked on separately to the verb infinitive. Also, the 'ei' element isn't a diphthong (ie. the two vowels are pronounced separately), as it is in all examples of the exception of the thread title. The same with 'seeing', fleeing', 'being', etc. etc.

'Ceiling' isn't an exception! It follows the 'c' rule.

Protein
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Lyn » June 23rd, 2017, 11:00 am

Well it was a good try.
Sorry about the @ around the word instead of inverted commas. Sometimes I press " and get @, then have to do it the other way around but didn't notice when I did that last.

Thought of a proper noun which may count:

Eileen
Lyn

Postby Lyn » February 2nd, 2018, 1:35 am

I just came across this in my nocturnal meanderings:

http://yankovic.org/blog/2009/04/01/oxf ... -of-weird/

I'm gutted, always thought "Wierd", was spelled, "Weird".
Lyn

Postby GregB » February 2nd, 2018, 8:14 am

I'm not convinced, at least until I have more confirmation of the supposed decision by the OED committee (I haven't found any other reports concerning that so far.) The accepted spelling, 'weird', goes back as far as Shakespeare's 'Macbeth' in which the three witches are also referred to as 'the Weird Sisters' (good name for a pop group!) and has never been questioned, as far as I know. The article in that link has an air of tongue-in-cheek, confirmed by the fact that 'height' is obviously not going to be respelt as 'hite' whereas 'ghoti' as 'fish' is a long-standing deliberate parody of the inconsistencies of English spelling and pronunciation (see the link below.)

I'm going to continue spelling 'weird' in the usual way until I lay on my funeral bier (or should that be 'beir' - or even 'beer? :scratch: )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti

(I've opened a new thread about this in Chatterbox as I think it's of more general interest beyond games alone.)
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Lyn » February 2nd, 2018, 10:33 am

Excellent!
Lyn

Previous

Return to Funny business