GregB goes digital

Somewhere to show off our creative talents and achievements
Forum rules
Somewhere to show off our creative talents and achievements, whether story writing or poems, painting or running a marathon, surviving a church youth weekend, amazing photos or . . . or . . .

Re: GregB goes digital

Postby Bev » April 15th, 2014, 3:43 pm

These may be your best yet, Greg. Wonderful photos!! The portrait of the silent film actor is museum worth, imo. The colors are reminiscent of some of Matisse's portraits. The Dali portrait is such a clever way to advertise the fries there. Loved it!!

You may think me crazy, but my favorite perhaps of all you've ever taken is the abandoned building shot through the opening in the brick wall. I would frame that one and hang it prominently somewhere. For reasons I can't explain, I find it melancholy and very moving.

You mentioned the horizontal lines of pastel colors, which made me admire the beach scene so much more.

I do so enjoy your photos, Greg. They are such a gift for someone who's never been there. Thanks. :)
Bev

Postby GregB » April 15th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Many thanks, Bev! Your comments are always so encouraging.
"A fat woman is trying to diet while an ageing spinster is dying to try it."
- Anon
GregB

Postby GregB » October 20th, 2014, 11:12 am

OK, it's photo time again, starting with two curious cement benches in an open space here with all the clothes, shoes, etc. fashioned in cement by the sculptor, too:

Here, I like the contrast of wild nature (the tree branches), the shadows and the clinically modern white building in the background:

This bowl with a single orange was on a shelf in a blue dresser in a café in our district. I cropped the original photo down to the bowl itself and the blue background, loving the contrast of colours. (It reminds me of a black fried egg!):

These two performers have their real heads inside the suitcases and basket at the top respectively but they give a great impression of being real on appearance. They also talk as they pass by. The second photo shows the reaction of a little girl:

These are the flats across from us at the back of ours. I noticed early one morning recently that the sun was casting the shadows of the balconies on the metal chimney alongside which discharges the fumes from a car paintshop below. To the right of that is the adjacent block with a nice blue and white sky. I love clean geometrical, abstract shapes as well as Gaudí-like unformed wildness :

More to follow...
- Anon
GregB

Postby Bev » October 20th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Really enjoyed your photo's Greg. The natural perspective lines and images cast by the sun are wonderful.

The couple in character must be delightful to encounter. :D What a clever way to exhibit ones creativity.

The concrete sculptures are so interesting in how much character and life the items give them even though they are blanched of all color. Is this on permanent display somewhere? I would love to know more about where they are and how people might encounter them. (I do hope they don't sit on them. :? )

Agree on the colors and framing of the bowl and orange. The lines on the bowl are lovely!

So looking forward to some autumn and winter pictures.
Bev

Postby GregB » October 20th, 2014, 12:53 pm

The couple in character must be delightful to encounter. :D What a clever way to exhibit ones creativity.

Yes, they were very friendly and commenting on things around them in a really nice way as they moved along. They sounded a little old so perhaps they've been doing their street routine for years - though I've never seen them before.
The concrete sculptures are so interesting in how much character and life the items give them even though they are blanched of all color. Is this on permanent display somewhere? I would love to know more about where they are and how people might encounter them. (I do hope they don't sit on them. :? )

Yes, they're permanent amongst other (bare) concrete benches in a public square in a district of Barcelona we visit from time to time for its bars and ambience. I don't imagine people sit on these ones! (There are only these two anyway.)
- Anon
GregB

Postby GregB » December 30th, 2014, 7:43 pm

Here is a selection of recent photos:

First, one in my ongoing series of doors and entrances with pictures painted on. It's inspired by a famous painting in the delightful Quatre Gats (Four Cats) restaurant - one of Picasso's favourites - in the centre with the artist, Ramon Casas, and his friend on a tandem (here's the original:
http://www.hotelesbaratosbarcelona.es/w ... ats_10.jpg )

This is a clever trompe l'oeil painted on the side of a building representing a shop selling chickens, rabbits, eggs, etc. from a hundred years ago. If you zoom in twice (top left-hand corner) you can see more detail. The second photo shows the upper flloors, also painted.

Light and shade in our living room. I especially like the tricks of light with the fan:

A sailboat out on the sea. I like the geometrical symmetry of sky and sea and the boat dead centre:

Finally, a few shots of an old shop selling umbrellas, walking sticks and fans, which is closing for good tomorrow as the proprietor - Señora Carballo, standing in the first picture - is retiring after over fifty years there (she's now 78.) I've bought most of my sticks, canes and umbrellas there and I'll miss her and the place:

Some examples of her wares in my home:

- Anon
GregB

Postby Bev » December 30th, 2014, 8:26 pm

Wonderful, wonderful photos! I particularly liked the artwork, Greg. That and the umbrella shop that is sadly closing down makes one quite nostalgic for the old cottage industries, much of which are long gone in America now.

I could just imagine sitting in your living room and watching the light dance through the moving fan blades. So peaceful and lovely.

I always look forward to your photos, Greg. Thanks so much for taking them and posting them.
Bev

Postby GregB » December 30th, 2014, 8:34 pm

You're welcome, Bev. :hello:
Glad you enjoyed them!
- Anon
GregB

Postby Sprocket » January 7th, 2015, 11:14 pm

Love the trompe l'oeil, with the painted people on painted balconies above.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » January 9th, 2015, 3:24 pm

Thanks for the comment. Yes, they're very convincing as you approach the building.

More photos soon, but meanwhile here is a selection of cartoons about the Charlie Hebdo attack from our local newspaper today. You can zoom in twice, clicking both times on the small circled plus sign in the top left-hand corner. You can then scroll down using the vertical bar on the right. Zoom out again with the circled minus sign.

- Anon
GregB

PreviousNext

Return to Something worth sharing