GregB goes digital

Somewhere to show off our creative talents and achievements
Forum rules
Somewhere to show off our creative talents and achievements, whether story writing or poems, painting or running a marathon, surviving a church youth weekend, amazing photos or . . . or . . .

Re: GregB goes digital

Postby Sprocket » January 9th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Today's 'Guardian' also carried a selection of cartoons from various European newspapers, as well as its own by Steve Bell. They included some of the ones you've shown.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby GregB » January 10th, 2015, 8:50 am

They're all quite inventive, demonstrating in their own way the creative talents of political cartoonists. The one where the masked terrorist says about his dead victim, "He drew first", not only makes its point effectively but is also witty in its wordplay.
"A fat woman is trying to diet while an ageing spinster is dying to try it."
- Anon
GregB

Postby different glory » January 10th, 2015, 8:58 am

Yes - I saw that one, and admired it.
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Postby Bev » January 10th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Yes, brilliant post and pics, Greg. It would seem the cartoon of all the pens threatening the lone militant may be more prophetic than they realized. Oh, that it will be. :beg:
Bev

Postby GregB » January 12th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Well, on to more of my photos. Don't forget you can zoom in by clicking on the small plus sign in the top left-hand corner twice (and out again with the adjacent minus sign.) First a couple in my painted entrances series.

This is a hairdresser's salon. 'The hairdresser' in Catalan is 'el perruquer', but as this one is also a guitarist in a local rock group, he calls himself, half in English, 'el perrocker', seen vertically on the left and the word 'la perrockeria' (from the name of the salon, 'la perruqueria') more creatively in different figures representing the letters across the top. The painting on the shutters represents his two professions, half a scissors blade and half a guitar.

The figures on the blinds here are Laurel and Hardy, but the background is the present-day port of Barcelona, with the Columbus column and the new sail-like hotel.

Many people don't like the number 13 in their address. However, the people here don't seem too bothered by this sinister number.

Here's a fine set of table football games in a large complex, including a bowling alley (photos of which I've put here earlier.) You don't see many around these days.

A stag party which seems to have gone to the dogs. :mrgreen: (Actually, an unusual statue in some public gardens here.)

This huge model of a lobster was created by Javier Mariscal (who designed Coby, the mascot of the Barcelona Olympic Games of 1992.) It originally sat atop one of a row of small snack bars built along this promenade fronting the port, but they were demolished, saving the lobster as a work of art. (Roy Lichtenstein's pop art statue can be seen in the background on the right.)

This building, HQ of the Planeta publishing company, is famous for its hanging plants and the fact that there is no hydraulic irrigation system - the plants are all in bases full of small stones using some 'dry' system (though don't ask me for details.)

And, finally, a 'selfie' of Roser and myself taken of our reflection in the mirror-like facade of a new building near the port.
Last edited by GregB on January 12th, 2015, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Anon
GregB

Postby Bev » January 12th, 2015, 4:56 pm

Wonderful selfie of you both! And the photos are as always so interesting. My favorite has to be the hair dresser's salon. :) The advertisement is so cleverly done.

The football tables are called "foosball" here in the States. It's been so long since I've frequented the places young boys enjoy so much, but when the boys were little, foosball tables were very common where one would find pool tables or arcade-type games. I'm sure now, video games have replaced all that. Sad, really.

The balconies on the Planeta building are likely growing hydroponic plants. Years ago, I sold hydroponic houseplants as a way to make extra money. Great photo!

The sculptures are interesting. The one of the stag attack does seem unusual, but it is beautiful.

Once again, wonderful photos that are so enjoyable to see. :good:
Bev

Postby GregB » January 12th, 2015, 5:33 pm

Thanks Bev! :hello:

I looked up 'hydroponic' and I'm sure that's the method used on the Planeta building. It's clearly effective as the plants there have been that way for years.
- Anon
GregB

Postby GregB » March 3rd, 2015, 4:26 pm

Another batch of photos. First, a couple more in my series of illustrated entrance blinds (starting with a special dog for the blind :D ):

Two more 'faux' balconies with painted, lifelike figures - in the first pair, that's Salvador Dalí on the left:

A night shot from our rear balcony, with the moon and Venus just visible in the night sky:

A building in one of the main avenues here with highly reflective windows. It seems transparent as if the clouds in the windows are behind the building, but they're just reflections:

Same building from a different angle:

An attractive railway station on a rural line out of Barcelona:

catalan folklore dancers about to go into action in front of the monastery of Sant Cugat (about 15 miles from here on that railway line) during a recent festive occasion:
Various dance troupes took part...
...some with green hair!

The advantage of being tall...and having a digital camera to hold above spectators' heads!
- Anon
GregB

Postby Bev » March 3rd, 2015, 4:41 pm

Once again, great photos, Greg! Loved, loved the faux balconies. Is the whole thing a painting? At first, I thought they were actual windows that someone painted over.

The reflective building does look so interesting. We have them here, but I don't believe they reflect the sky as well as the one you photographed.

I would love to have seen the folk dance. Do you know more about the cultural time period they are portraying?
Bev

Postby GregB » March 3rd, 2015, 4:46 pm

I think the painted figures are on cement backgrounds, real windows not having been installed (they're all on the sides of buildings, largely out of street view.) Only the metal struts are genuine.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the time period of the dances, but I suspect it's probably 18th/19th centuries for the costumes. (The green hair is a playful contemporary touch.)
- Anon
GregB

PreviousNext

Return to Something worth sharing