The Catholic Church today

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: The Catholic Church today

Postby Lyn » November 7th, 2017, 7:58 am

I think so too, excellent idea. We'll all contribute Pondy and this thread can remain specifically about the Catholic Church.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » November 26th, 2017, 3:15 pm

No missals in church for Mass today.It was the Feast of Christ the King today in Canada. The trouble was the books we had last week printed Christ the King as being last week.So, they were all removed and there was nothing to replace them

EDIT

The Nicene Creed was recited today, instead of the Apostles Creed which we nearly always have. The Creed was mumbled by the priest and , as we had no books ...well you can guess the result of congregation participation - zero!
Issued instead of books were specially locally printed blue papers containing the hymns and prayers. There were no first and second readings or gospel of the day printed.
It was infuriating to me who is hard of hearing.
On the way out as Advent starts next week we could buy Sunday Missals for the new 2017/2018 season. My wife picked one up from a woman at the rear of the church and was asked for one dollar* .She didn't have a purse and no dollar either,and was given a book free. We give in the Collection envelope, and I give any spare change or $5 usually to the St. Vincent de Paul man standing outside in the wet weather on the church steps, when he is there , as he was today. So we don't feel guilty. We will share the book for now!

* I was outside on the church steps , waiting for her and didn't know she was looking for a dollar!
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 9th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Yesterday , was The Feast of the Immaculate Conception , and it is no longer a holy day of obligation , yet more than normal numbers of people attended our local church, I am glad to say.
It is about Mary being conceived herself from original sin,and not about Jesus himself being free of mortal son.You have to have a Catholic education to understand that - and even now some ignorant Catholics think it refers to Jesus and not Mary.

The Pope is going to change the words of the Lord's Prayer, namely the section : "And lead us not into temptation", "et ne nos inducas in tentationem." I don't see how those Latin words from the Vulgate can be changed, myself. But, we will see what transpires.Personally I disagree with him on this (as with many other subjects from climate change to divorced people, receiving the Eucharist after re- marriage , or shacking up.)
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 20th, 2017, 11:46 am

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/nati ... 1334551272

An excellent column in today's National Post by John Robson shows how an Australian Commission seeks to rewrite Roman Catholic doctrine.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » December 24th, 2017, 5:14 pm

It was the day before Christmas and the Church decorations shine in all their red, gold and silver glory.( It is really the fourth Sunday of Advent, but so what Christmas Day is just hours away.)
I stopped one man from putting dollars in the parking meter.I told him.There are no parking tickets today, ; The Church has an arrangement....(They have an unofficial Sunday morning agreement of many years standing , not to give tickets on streets close to our Church until after the 12:30 pm. Mass is over .
:D
Many new faces were observed in Church today, from what I could see. The difference between the World and the Church comes immediately to mind when you read or sing some hymns. Translated from French, (written by a priest of a couple of centuries ago, and sung to the tune of a French Carol.translated into English poetry by some scholar in England)
The beauty of it all. Few today have the education in Latin, Greek,, Philosophy , English or French that our ancestors had.

On the way home we stopped at Loblaws ( recently admitting to price fixing bread for the last fourteen years) for some whipping cream.It was crowded, as was the nearby liquor store where people drove in to drown their sorrows.
A Merry Christmas to all.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » December 24th, 2017, 11:59 pm

The posts you have made, to which I responded, on the Politics thread would be suitable for here.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » February 11th, 2018, 11:19 am

WASHINGTON, D.C., February 1, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) – St. John Paul II's biographer George Weigel criticized Cardinal Pietro Parolin’s recent assertion that Pope Francis' teaching in Amoris Laetitia represents “a paradigm shift” for the Church

“The Catholic Church doesn’t do “paradigm shifts,” ​the Catholic theologian wrote in a First Things column this week. :

I agree, bishops and priests are forgetting in an attempt to make life easier for Catholics that Christ died in suffering on the cross. We cannot take the suffering out of our lives without denying God's plan for us as Christians.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » February 14th, 2018, 2:54 pm

First day of Lent today, Ash Wednesday, and the church here at St Max was full as if it were a Sunday. You would expect the priest saying Mass would be pleased. Instead, he said that it was not a Holy Day of Obligation, nor was anything mentioned about it being a law of the church, anywhere, not even in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. He did say though that it was the start of Lent.
Definitely a modernist priest and not a traditionalist. Probably enthusiastically, supported the change in 1968 from the Latin Mass to Novus Ordo, and the destruction of tradition and the liturgy.
We, the people ignore the views of the priest like that, and we will prevail.Still, as a priest he can and does bring us the Eucharist, which is why we go to church.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » February 16th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Another wierd sermon by a priest about fasting in Lent.
He was implying that certain types of fasting were not effective (presumably in a spiritual sense).He talked alternatively about giving to the poor. Now, that was off topic as the reading was about why Jesus's disciples didn't fast while John the Baptist's did .Jesus replied that when you have the bridegroom with you you don't fast, you fast after the bridegroom has gone. So, we heard some confusing news about fasting in a sermon, this morning.

After reading the Catholic Herald piece about Cardinal Cupich recently, I really think the Catholic Church is breaking up. I call it a schism.Cardinal against Cardinal, one opposed to the other. I can give better examples showing the Church will soon split up if I scratch below the surface of the news.
Now I was not brought up Catholic and I am a convert to Catholicism. And I am not the first one to say our present Pope is the worst one in history or at least within living memory.

Edit.
We used to say a prayer for the Pope's intentions after the rosary.Now, we just say a prayer for the Pope.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » February 20th, 2018, 2:09 pm

There are two Redemtorist priests here at St.Max to give us a Mission for a few days. As they are from Chicago and flew in on Saturday last that puts me in a difficult position. All because of Cardinal Cupich of Chicago,whose doctrinal errors are well known to those Catholics who read good material on the internet.These priests may of may not agree with their Cardinal, but I am not going to take a chance, and the last thing I want is to argue over coffee and donuts prior to the Mission in a room in the church itself. | will give them the benefit of the doubt, though. I think others who attend Mass daily have the same doubts and hesitations. I will get my Lenten "mission " from the writings and broadcasts of Fr. George Rutler of the Archdiocese of New York, and Crisis magazine.
John Lennox
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to About Christianity