The Catholic Church today

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: The Catholic Church today

Postby Lyn » February 20th, 2018, 2:34 pm

What good material on the internet?
Lyn

Postby Pondero » February 20th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Crisis magazine for one.But, that is not all.
People are becoming aware of what is right and what is wrong from a variety of sources, both EWTN and books and magazine articles all on the internet, in part or in whole.
There is a story of priests giving a Mission to school children in South Kansas recently, where in a history test ( this was a Catholic school) the students where asked.Which President , was the worst Catholic. They all wrote President Kennedy.
EDIT
After consultation with my wife,to correct the above statement (She has better hearing than I have.) the priest said "was the worst Christian President," not the worst Catholic).
Last edited by Pondero on February 20th, 2018, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » February 20th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Very odd question. Was there a Catholic president other than Kennedy? Not to my knowledge. If he was the only one then he was the best and the worst Catholic president so the kids answered correctly. However I don't see the point of the question.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » February 21st, 2018, 11:03 am

Cardinal Cupich is increasingly being criticized for repudiating Catholic teaching on marriage. There is yet another article criticising his opinions on today's The Catholic Thing.
One of the two Redemptorists priests has said nothing that I or my wife have heard that is against Catholic teaching. And in order to be fair to those two priests we spent yesterday evening in Church listening to one of them.
I feel sorry for them having to live in Chicago.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » March 4th, 2018, 5:25 pm

At the 9:30 am Mass at OLS today, there were three people two rows ahead of me,one of whom was talking ,sniggering and laughing throughout the proceedings. He was a hairless biped judging by his arms, had dark untidy hair and was very tall, at about seven foot. He looked like a construction worker from another country.The two he was talking to were slightly better behaved ,(an older man and woman).
When Mass was finished a woman in front of them turned and politely gave them a lecture on how to behave in church.They listened. With a smile she then asked them what country they came from. (I didn't hear their reply.assuming they understood English well enough to answer the question) Probably from lower Slobovia, I thought.

Last night at a Maltese Church Mass for a relative, the priest really told the congregationl off (in English) .We arrived a couple of minutes late so I didn't know what they had done.
Don, a Polish born man married to one of my wife's sisters said they had not only been talking in Church, but using cell phones as well.It was awful.
The priest said that this is the House if God, among other things!
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 4th, 2018, 5:48 pm

I'd hate to go to church with you. I never noticed anyone when I went regularly, until maybe afterwards if people were talking. I'd also hate to live next or near to you, you notice every weed! Still I suppose it shows your background.

I'm so glad where I live is private & there is never a comment about neighbours.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 4th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Lyn wrote:I'd hate to go to church with you. I never noticed anyone when I went regularly, until maybe afterwards if people were talking. I'd also hate to live next or near to you, you notice every weed! Still I suppose it shows your background.

I'm so glad where I live is private & there is never a comment about neighbours.

I hope you are not typical of British churchgoers, because if you are then England is in a sorry state indeed,and perhaps a country I will stay away from until we see the effects of a religious revival. There is no sign of that on the horizon.
I don't know what you have against honest criticism.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 4th, 2018, 8:59 pm

I've no idea if I am typical of British churchgoers, I sincerely hope I am not; what I said has nothing to do with churchgoers but a criticism of gossipy trivial nitpicking, not honest criticism.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 4th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Lyn wrote:I've no idea if I am typical of British churchgoers, I sincerely hope I am not; what I said has nothing to do with churchgoers but a criticism of gossipy trivial nitpicking, not honest criticism.

No point in arguing with you, let me not confuse your prejudicial views with a few facts, such as a church is a house of God, or that you are disrupting a religious service in a church, which is a criminal offence in Canada.Or that laughing out loud during Mass is acceptable behaviour.
Or that most people behind their pew were disgusted by their behaviour.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 5th, 2018, 12:17 am

There is room for all in God's house. For all you know he could have been mentally ill.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to About Christianity