The Catholic Church today

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: The Catholic Church today

Postby Sprocket » October 31st, 2017, 5:55 pm

Either you believe in free speech, or you don't. We already have laws against hate speech and incitement to violence.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Pondero » October 31st, 2017, 6:35 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:Pondero what is there is nothing to love about the Biblical god? Its actions are worse than those of Hitler. :twisted:

He can't be that bad, after all he got the chosen people out of Egypt and into Israel. He was harsh at times I admit, threatening to kill some ..(we had that reading from Exodus last Sunday)
The God of the New Testament is quite different. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

You were not born until after he War, so you didn't suffer German occupation of Guernsey. It went largely unscathed during the invasion of France when Allied forces, planes and troops passed over them.I think the Germans surrendered peacefully enough.
Hitler was as we all know a cruel tyrant, and to compare God to him is ludicrous.Most of us on this board had relatives in the Second World War, and we were bombed, some more than others. London, Birmingham and Coventry more than Leeds which is the closest city to where I resided.
You got off easy in Guernsey.
Last edited by Pondero on October 31st, 2017, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby sarniajoy » October 31st, 2017, 6:38 pm

Pondero wrote:
Sarniajoy wrote:Pondero what is there is nothing to love about the Biblical god? Its actions are worse than those of Hitler. :twisted:

He cant be that bad, after all he got the chosen people out of Egypt and into Israel. He was harsh at times I admit, threatening to kill some ..(we had that reading from Exodus last Sunday)
The God of the New Testament is quite different. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

You were not born until after he War, so you didn't suffer German occupation of Guernsey. It went largely unscathed during the invasion of France when Allied forces, planes and troops passed over them.I think the Germans surrendered peacefully enough.
Hitler was as we all know a cruel tyrant, and to compare God to him is ludicrous.Most of us on this board had relatives in the Second World War, and we were bombed, some more than others. London, Birminghsm and Coventry more than Leeds which is the closest city to where I resided.
You got off easy in Guernsey.

The sky fairy created evil in the first place so of course it is all bad, if it exists.
sarniajoy

Postby Pondero » October 31st, 2017, 6:51 pm

The truth is Sarniajoy that God created everything that is good. Evil has been created by spirits, (devils, demons) and our first two human beings .
We all know the Genesis story so I won't repeat it here. What intrigues me is that you think everything is evil at source. Apparently, there is no good in your life coming from the God you don't believe in.
I wonder then where you think goodness comes from?
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Lyn » October 31st, 2017, 7:18 pm

Guernsey was occupied during WW2 Pondy and the people were virtually starved, had a terrible time.
Lyn

Postby Val » October 31st, 2017, 7:18 pm

Pondero wrote:The truth is Sarniajoy that God created everything that is good. Evil has been created by spirits, (devils, demons) and our first two human beings .

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Val » October 31st, 2017, 7:39 pm

Pondero wrote:Miltons Paradise Lost was based on the Bible, and our Lord's answer to a question from a Pharisee ,as written in Matthew sums up the purpose of life for all.
Thou shalt love the Lord the God,with all thy heart, with all thy mind with all thy soul. This is the first and greatest commandment, and the second is like unto it.Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself..

And what if your neighbour is gay, do you still love thy neighbour as thyself.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Lyn » October 31st, 2017, 8:17 pm

I think he would Val.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » November 2nd, 2017, 4:56 pm

I don't answer daft questions Val, given to provoke, like the Pharisees of old.
The only thing that is going to save the true church is the saying of the rosary for starters, and then the bringing back of the Latin Mass.
In England they are closing Churches In Hexam diocese (Newcastle ) and also in the Sheffield area, due to lack of Catholics.All since Vatican 2.
I cannot comment on Ireland at present.
Pondero

Postby Val » November 2nd, 2017, 6:53 pm

Pondero wrote:I don't answer daft questions Val, given to provoke, like the Pharisees of old.
The only thing that is going to save the true church is the saying of the rosary for starters, and then the bringing back of the Latin Mass.

Repetitive, incessant praying will not save anything let alone the Catholic Church, during my religious venture I often sat beside people with their beads in hand saying over and over the same words in a cold meaningless rhythm and if it bore the hell out of me imagine how the supreme being of the universe feels after listening to millions of these every minute
What the bible says about repetitive prayers
“KJV
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.”
For me that about sums up that type of prayer
And if you bring back the Latin rite then you really can say good bye to the Catholic Church

IMO what will save the Catholic Church is the man at the helm Pope Francis, it is rumoured and widely believed that he dresses as a priest and walks the streets of Rome at night giving comfort and money to the poor and homeless, in his previous existence as Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio he often took to the streets at night giving money and buying food for the destitute, he would sit, eat and talk with them bringing comfort where he could.
That is the true heart of a good man and I respect him for this regardless of his religious faith.
John Stuart Mill

Edmund Burke
Val

PreviousNext

Return to About Christianity