The Catholic Church today

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: The Catholic Church today

Postby Pondero » November 2nd, 2017, 7:20 pm

Val wrote:
Pondero wrote:I don't answer daft questions Val, given to provoke, like the Pharisees of old.
The only thing that is going to save the true church is the saying of the rosary for starters, and then the bringing back of the Latin Mass.

]Repetitive, incessant praying will not save anything let alone the Catholic Church, during my religious venture I often sat beside people with their beads in hand saying over and over the same words in a cold meaningless rhythm and if it bore the hell out of me imagine how the supreme being of the universe feels after listening to millions of these every minute
What the bible says about repetitive prayers

If it bore the hell out of you then you didn't approach the prayer in the right spirit and probably accounts for your lack of Faith today. Since when did the Catholic Church quote from that Protestant King James version of the Bible? However, Tradition is of equal importance to the Bible and the Catholic Church teaches ( or used to teach before Vaticanb2 :bye: )

“KJV
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.”
For me that about sums up that type of prayer.
They are not "vain" repetitions.

And if you bring back the Latin rite then you really can say good bye to the Catholic Church

The numbers in Church have declined only since Vatican 2 brought in the Novus Ordo Mass.

IMO what will save the Catholic Church is the man at the helm Pope Francis, it is rumoured and widely believed that he dresses as a priest and walks the streets of Rome at night giving comfort and money to the poor and homeless, in his previous existence as Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio he often took to the streets at night giving money and buying food for the destitute, he would sit, eat and talk with them bringing comfort where he could.
That is the true heart of a good man and I respect him for this regardless of his religious faith.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Val » November 3rd, 2017, 12:10 pm

Pondero wrote:If it bore the hell out of you then you didn't approach the prayer in the right spirit and probably accounts for your lack of Faith today. Since when did the Catholic Church quote from that Protestant King James version of the Bible? However, Tradition is of equal importance to the Bible and the Catholic Church teaches ( or used to teach before Vaticanb2 :bye: )

The King James version is probably the most accurate version available, but if think no then read in your own bible

From the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition
5 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.[a]

7 “And in praying do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9 Pray then like this

What of this then
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

Postby Pondero » November 3rd, 2017, 2:40 pm

Are you accusing me of being a hypocrite because I say the rosary. ?
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Val » November 3rd, 2017, 4:46 pm

Pondero wrote:Are you accusing me of being a hypocrite because I say the rosary. ?

Don't be silly I am not accusing you, just showing that the catholic version of the bible say the same thing as the KJV
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

Postby Lyn » November 3rd, 2017, 7:12 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:
Lyn wrote:Sarniajay, no-one is saying you have to like Pondero's posts (though you must admit they are at least interesting), but to not think much of Pondero when you and I both knew him from the BBC days, is unbelievable. Unless you're saying you think little of anyone who disagrees with your point of view. In which case what's the point of a discussion forum?

I don't remember him from the Beeb, he obviously didn't make much of an impact on me then. But some of his crazy comments on this forum about that cretin, Trump, and global warming, for instance, have really irritated me.

I've only just seen this Sj. When I joined the BBC forum you were already there and so was Pondero. Pondero also joined us on later forums such as 4church and Sparrows so I'm surprised you don't remember him, he posted regularly. He was a bit different then but so are you and I. I'm sure he remembers you from BBC days, Tangnefedd Gower, when you were extremely good humoured and with stories about your haunted house.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » November 3rd, 2017, 7:55 pm

I wasn't on 4church Lyn, but as you point out on Sparrows and the BBC, and my name was Pondering Philosopher.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » November 3rd, 2017, 8:11 pm

By the time I joined the Beeb forum (as Victoria Plum), you were Pondero. I can't remember whether or not you were on the old Premier forum. Still you surely remember Sarniajay in her previous incarnation as Tangnefedd.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » November 3rd, 2017, 8:15 pm

No Lynn I was not on the Premier forum.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Pondero » November 6th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Sarniajoy is constantly stating God is a psycho God, inferring God is a cruel God asdescribed in the Bible
I would like to discuss this as I see no evidence of it in the New Testament,. I would like an example of a cruel God, so we can start the discussion.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby GregB » November 7th, 2017, 7:55 am

Pondero wrote:Sarniajoy is constantly stating God is a psycho God, inferring God is a cruel God asdescribed in the Bible
I would like to discuss this as I see no evidence of it in the New Testament,. I would like an example of a cruel God, so we can start the discussion.

I suggest you start a new thread on this topic, Pondero, perhaps repeating your post above which I've quoted.
"The war of peoples will be more terrible than those of kings."
- Winston Churchill (1901)
GregB

PreviousNext

Return to About Christianity