Jesus died to 'save' us, not such a big deal!

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Jesus died to 'save' us, not such a big deal!

Postby Sarniajoy » September 29th, 2016, 10:19 am

Jesus supposedly died to 'save' us, but even if that was true, what was the big deal? Other people have died when saving others and stayed dead, not having the supposed privilege of popping up alive three days later. Therefore people who deliberately put themselves in harm's way to save others, knowing they will probably be killed in the attempt, are more worthy of praise than Jesus, who knew he wasn't going to stay dead for long, if the Bible stories had any credence .
Sarniajoy

Re: Jesus died to 'save' us, not such a big deal!

Postby Pondero » September 29th, 2016, 10:51 am

Why do you exhibit such hatred for Christianity SJ?
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Postby Sarniajoy » September 29th, 2016, 11:01 am

Pondero wrote:Why do you exhibit such hatred for Christianity SJ?

Only the nasty 'born again' dogma, which ruined my childhood! :o I have no problem with live and let live non Biblical literalist Christians like my own children.
Sarniajoy

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » September 29th, 2016, 1:39 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:Only the nasty 'born again' dogma, which ruined my childhood!

Don't let yourself be defined by your past Sarniajoy.

Easier said than done, but I find that in Europe and the US for example, there's much more emphasis on people working forwards towards a goal.

I remember a while back when it was Wimbledon and Serena Williams was being interviewed about a controversial incident from the French Open a month earlier. Her response?

What happened in Paris stays in Paris
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby Sarniajoy » September 29th, 2016, 2:00 pm

SwordOfTheSpirit wrote:
Sarniajoy wrote:Only the nasty 'born again' dogma, which ruined my childhood!

Don't let yourself be defined by your past Sarniajoy.

Easier said than done, but I find that in Europe and the US for example, there's much more emphasis on people working forwards towards a goal.

I remember a while back when it was Wimbledon and Serena Williams was being interviewed about a controversial incident from the French Open a month earlier. Her response?

What happened in Paris stays in Paris

I am not defined by my past, but I will challenge the, 'you must ,'saved' or else', dogma, which is as damaging now as it has always been especially when aimed at children and vulnerable people.
Sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » September 29th, 2016, 5:02 pm

There aren't many Christians who say that nowadays sj, you must know that.

We all had horror stories told to us when we were kids which, nowadays, would be considered abusive. Not just about religion!

Challenge away but you know from experience you won't find much to challenge unless you seek out extremists. Has it occurred to you that people brought up in non-Christian faiths were often told terrifying things about their religion/deities too? Alongside the nasties, there are plenty of colourful, wondrous stories.
Lyn

Postby godfrey » September 29th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:I am not defined by my past.

I think you are, or you wouldn't be here posting as you do.

A positive suggestion: forgive the people who ruined your childhood.
Milligan nodded. What was the use? After all, if Albert Einstein stood for a thousand years in front of fifty monkeys explaining the theory of relativity, at the end, they'd still be just monkeys.
- Spike Milligan, Puckoon
godfrey

Postby Lyn » September 29th, 2016, 5:21 pm

Hi godfrey. Yes, forgiveness is a good idea. It isn't necessarily a one off, could be 70x7.
Also sj there must have been so much good in your childhood, why not think of that instead of focusing on the negative all the time.

A lot of people whom you know from forums have had terrible abusive things happen to them in their childhood, sj, you would be surprised.
Lyn

Postby NicholasMarks » October 15th, 2016, 6:46 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:Jesus supposedly died to 'save' us, but even if that was true, what was the big deal? Other people have died when saving others and stayed dead, not having the supposed privilege of popping up alive three days later. Therefore people who deliberately put themselves in harm's way to save others, knowing they will probably be killed in the attempt, are more worthy of praise than Jesus, who knew he wasn't going to stay dead for long, if the Bible stories had any credence .

The importance behind Jesus' death is that he died showing us a number of things. The obvious one is that if you are honest and righteous the forces of oppression will get you.

The most important point of his death though is his resurrection. Something that even today no one is quite certain about unless we are led into the understanding of it via Jesus' teaching. It seems that, through a voice of great integrity...Jesus Christ, himself...we are told and shown what happens after life. If we follow Jesus, accurately, we can be resurrected...if we don't follow him, or jumble up his teaching, then those righteous keys that Jesus snatched out of the hands of Satan, calling them the keys of life and death, will jam in the lock, and there is no rebirth, not in the carefully controlled way that Jesus authorised, anyway.

How else can we all be recalled for God's Judgement.
NicholasMarks

Postby Pondero » October 16th, 2016, 10:19 pm

he importance behind Jesus' death is that he died showing us a number of things. The obvious one is that if you are honest and righteous the forces of oppression will get you.

Sometimes, but not always.It is still best to be honest and just in your dealings.
The point of Jesus's death and resurrection was to atone for the original sin surely, and to make Heaven open for us.He promised us eternal life and a final judgement on judgement day which is after the particular individual judgement which occurs immediately upon death.Some go to heaven and some to Hell, each for eternity.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Next

Return to About Christianity