Jesus Christ the Son of God

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Jesus Christ the Son of God

Postby NicholasMarks » October 16th, 2016, 3:25 pm

The son of God brought God’s righteous word to us for our edification. It isn’t the normal way of thinking because Almighty God knows all about evil and all its machinations and Jesus had to present his teaching even in the face of evil oppression, with the minimum of God’s help. This was to ensure that we would have the same ability to stand firm against oppression…as far as righteousness is concerned.

They whipped him, beat him, slandered him and took his life but, the science he was working with and which we can work from too ensured his resurrection…as it will ours.

But how, and why?? Well, I believe that in understanding righteousness lies all the answers.
NicholasMarks

Re: Jesus Christ the Son of God

Postby Sprocket » October 16th, 2016, 6:24 pm

This smacks of salvation by works.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » October 16th, 2016, 7:25 pm

I thought that too at first, Sprocket but Jesus said, "“unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven “ (Matt 5:20). We misunderstand what is meant by the word, "Righteousness", it doesn't mean 'perfect' which we can never be. I think it is about receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit which only happens if we acknowledge that we are far from perfect, and repent, a complete turn around (metanoia).
Lyn

Postby Pondero » October 16th, 2016, 10:00 pm

The mention of 'science' in relation to Jesus is an oddity.Science s science and Religion is religion. They occupy two different spheres. I wonder is Nicholas a Christian Scientist.?
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Ishy » October 16th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Christ's way is the only way that a persons righteousness can exceed the Pharisees.
Faith is what accounted righteousness unto Abraham. He believed what God told him about his Son and God accounted this to Abraham as righteousness.
In Christ the believer also believes what God has said about his Son and so this is accounted as righteousness.

Isaiah 54:17 King James Bible
No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Faith , hope and Love remain and the greatest is love.

For God so loved the world. Can we account anything but to the righteousness of God who through love made us righteous in his son?
Ishy

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Lyn » October 16th, 2016, 11:14 pm

Pondero wrote:The mention of 'science' in relation to Jesus is an oddity.Science s science and Religion is religion. They occupy two different spheres. I wonder is Nicholas a Christian Scientist.?

No he isn't. I couldn't put a label on him but some of what I have read, that he has said, has a feel of C S Lewis. I don't believe we can separate science and religion in the way that some do, as if never the twain shall meet. Certainly not when we ponder the wonders of the universe and of creation (however we interpret creation).
Lyn

Postby NicholasMarks » October 17th, 2016, 8:52 am

Pondero/Lyn/Ishy/Sprocket...

We are all, right, and yet we are all wrong as well.

You must realise that the people Jesus was speaking to...which, eventually, is the whole world, had/has no scientific training, and so the science was merged into a righteous behaviour pattern that delivers the fruits of that science. All we have to do is peel away the adds-ons of man to get down to the faith which introduces God's righteous science into our lives, without us even realising it.

Jesus said that those who follow him will never die...and following him is a work. A very rewarding work because it is a science written from the foundations of the universe and we should know that Almighty God or Jesus will not let us down...even when death and resurrection are the only sensible, righteous, options.
NicholasMarks

Postby Sprocket » October 17th, 2016, 8:57 am

You're a well-meaning sort of chap, but your version of Christianity is completely bonkers, I'm afraid.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » October 17th, 2016, 9:03 am

Must admit I find it all fascinating but that's just me.
Lyn

Postby NicholasMarks » October 17th, 2016, 9:26 am

Pondero/Lyn...

If it was all straight forward and easy to understand it wouldn't have inspired the minds of mankind for so long.

The fact remains that if we look at Biblical passages, especially the Gospels, knowing that Almighty God is the personification of all this energy that created the universe then we have a deeper understanding already of the accurate teaching of Jesus Christ.
NicholasMarks

Next

Return to About Christianity