Jesus Christ the Son of God

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: Jesus Christ the Son of God

Postby Theophilus » November 8th, 2016, 8:02 pm

Lyn wrote:
Theophilus wrote:Both of those words rendered "science" in the KJV can also be rendered as "knowledge" as scientia in Latin comes from the word scire, "to know". Indeed, other translations will render the verse from Timothy as "knowledge, falsely called". The verse from Daniel (which uses both the words "knowledge" and "science") can also be translated differently without using the word science, e.g:

youths in whom was no defect, who were good-looking, showing intelligence in every branch of wisdom, endowed with understanding and discerning knowledge, and who had ability for serving in the king's court; and he ordered him to teach them the literature and language of the Chaldeans.

A distinction between the words "science" and "knowledge" exists now whereas it was less distinct back in the 17th century. Now, science would be understood not just as "knowledge" about a subject, but also include the various methodologies for obtaining such knowledge (in today's language we can "do" science, but we can't "do" knowledge).

Yes I do know that 'science' is often translated as 'knowledge', I said as much before. However people in Biblical times did 'do' science', in a different, maybe far less sophisticated way than we know it now but it was studied.

Of course people did science in times past, I am simply talking about the word translated as science in the KJV of the Bible: now the word is better translated as "knowledge" because science has come to mean the discipline of science, rather than simply "knowledge". The context of the verse shows that it is talking about knowledge, falsely-called, rather than psuedo-science.
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Lyn » November 8th, 2016, 8:15 pm

Yeah alright.
Lyn

Postby Ishy » November 17th, 2016, 9:52 am

NicholasMarks wrote:
Lyn wrote:Nicholas, Ishy does that already, I can assure you.

Lyn/Ishy...

Yes Lyn....I'm not disputing that...I just wanted to make the point that following the accurate teaching of Jesus is an act between the individual and Jesus and isn't open to error....because we are then participating in the absolute righteous science of Almighty God. Ishy seems to be overlooking this point in my own posts. Many of the churches don't teach this.

Following Jesus, starts with trusting God first.
In the OT God marks the way he shows people and share with them by taking them into his confidence.
It is this truth that shows those who love truth and love God will come to Christ. But most important it shows what Christ does believers will do.

Spirit and Truth.
Ishy

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ishy » November 17th, 2016, 9:56 am

NicholasMarks wrote:Val...

Now this is hard for me cus I'm currently working from my mobile and hit and miss Wi Fi....but I'm afraid science via faith is Exactly what is the difference between Jesus Christ and iniquity. Jesus was teaching us God's righteous science. IF I can come up with an alternative science built on top of the scientific scrutiny of modern science and which puts Jesus' teaching at the highest level of all knowledge...then both you and Dicky Dawkins are in error and only Jesus Christ can save either of you

God does not teach a righteous science. He teaches that the creation is a witness to his existence. Not that science or creation are a means to his existence. Gods power and God himself exist independently to all he created.
What is created including what they call science exist because he created them.

The word at the beginning was everything that came from the mouth of God. Man has to live by all the words that come from Gods mouth.
Christ and the words of promise about his Messiah came from the mouth of God. Christ and when he came born in flesh was the word promised becoming flesh,
It is difficult sometimes but useless arguments are not the way to God. Belief in what God tells us is the way to God.
Ishy

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby sarniajoy » November 17th, 2016, 10:08 am

Ishy wrote:

Now this is hard for me cus I'm currently working from my mobile and hit and miss Wi Fi....but I'm afraid science via faith is Exactly what is the difference between Jesus Christ and iniquity. Jesus was teaching us God's righteous science. IF I can come up with an alternative science built on top of the scientific scrutiny of modern science and which puts Jesus' teaching at the highest level of all knowledge...then both you and Dicky Dawkins are in error and only Jesus Christ can save either of you

God does not teach a righteous science. He teaches that the creation is a witness to his existence. Not that science or creation are a means to his existence. Gods power and God himself exist independently to all he created.

The word at the beginning was everything that came from the mouth of God. Man has to live by all the words that come from Gods mouth.
Christ and the words of promise about his Messiah came from the mouth of God. Christ and when he came born in flesh was the word promised becoming flesh,
It is difficult sometimes but useless arguments are not the way to God. Belief in what God tells us is the way to God.

Assertions with no evidence to support them.
sarniajoy

Postby NicholasMarks » November 17th, 2016, 10:42 am

Sarniajoy wrote:
Ishy wrote:

Assertions with no evidence to support them.

I think Sarniajoy that there is a fine line here. Almighty God has delivered a message to all of us. He obviously has all the skills necessary to bawl and shout at us like adverts do to declare his existence and perhaps even display his power and strength with a heavy hand as all dictators do...but embodied in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is the hand-print of a soft, caring, loving God, who, himself, lives by the same code that Jesus taught us to follow.

Embodied in that teaching is the advice that there will be great tribulations we will all have to live through...those who have listened to and obeyed righteousness as Jesus taught us will benefit because the science of repair, resurrection and everlasting life will help them through it. Those who can't be bothered will simply have to take the consequences...Now, you have convinced yourself there will be no consequences or to hell with them...but you haven't taken into account your own spirit...the electric residue left over after this existence. Jesus showed us the power we can have over that part of us that never dies whilst also telling us where it will finish up if we don't respond to his universal standards of righteousness...It will be snatched away into a fiery lake of sulphur...with no remission...whilst those who are saved will have everlasting life, here on planet Earth, in the flesh and with all the genetic scars of our sins repaired...it's up to you.
NicholasMarks

Postby sarniajoy » November 17th, 2016, 12:23 pm

NM you might believe the Bible has is a god production, but there is no evidence to support it.
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » November 17th, 2016, 2:25 pm

We cannot provide evidence to anyone who doesn't believe, Sj, and you know that.
Amongst ourselves we can come up with evidence for this and that and frequently do, discussing, disagreeing, agreeing etc, but not to anyone who has no faith.

As is often said, "You can't prove the Bible with the Bible".

It is fruitless trying, frankly.

The leap of faith has to come first and that doesn't happen with everyone.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » November 17th, 2016, 3:12 pm

Faith without evidence can lead people right up the garden path, sometimes it doesn't do much, or any harm, other times it can be absolutely disastrous!
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » November 17th, 2016, 3:30 pm

Well I wouldn't know about that, Sj. I believe there must be evidence but faith comes first, evidence follows, it's like things falling into place at last; the evidence of a believer means nothing to anyone else.

Certainly there are religious groups that prey on the vulnerable and lead them up the garden and other paths. We have to be vigilant.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to About Christianity