Jesus Christ the Son of God

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: Jesus Christ the Son of God

Postby Val » November 17th, 2016, 7:37 pm

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Lyn » November 17th, 2016, 8:29 pm

I didn't like the 'Living for Today' picture, gave me mini horrors.

Love the song, though, 'specially the long intro.
Lyn

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » November 18th, 2016, 10:56 am

Lyn wrote:Well I wouldn't know about that, Sj. I believe there must be evidence but faith comes first, evidence follows, ...

In my opinion Lyn, some kind of worldview is needed to interpret evidence (think of a court case for example with prosecution, defence and the jury to decide). Faith is necessary when certainty cannot be guaranteed. That is why one of my approaches is to examine the worldview used by some when claiming there is no evidence for religious belief.
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby Lyn » November 18th, 2016, 11:02 am

Agree there, Sword.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » November 18th, 2016, 11:39 am

SwordOfTheSpirit wrote:
Lyn wrote:Well I wouldn't know about that, Sj. I believe there must be evidence but faith comes first, evidence follows, ...

In my opinion Lyn, some kind of worldview is needed to interpret evidence (think of a court case for example with prosecution, defence and the jury to decide). Faith is necessary when certainty cannot be guaranteed. That is why one of my approaches is to examine the worldview used by some when claiming there is no evidence for religious belief.

We will have to agree to differ.
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » November 18th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Of course.
It's interesting to discuss.
Lyn

Postby GregB » November 18th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Well getting back to Val's post about John Lennon and his laughably unrealistic song, first off this from Wikipedia, which predated it:

In March 1966, during an interview with Evening Standard reporter Maureen Cleave, Lennon remarked, "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink ... We're more popular than Jesus now—I don't know which will go first, rock and roll or Christianity.

Well, neither, as it turned out. It was Lennon and The Beatles which went first.

As for 'Imagine', here's a long lost missing verse, the only one which actually had any reality:

"Imagine David Chapman
Waiting in the street."

Get real...
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Postby Lyn » November 18th, 2016, 3:42 pm

I'd forgotten the name of the killer, just looked him up. He's still inside and will probably stay there.

'Catcher in the Rye' was apparently Chapman's inspiration behind the murder, at least that's what he said at the time. I don't think I have read it but am going to find a synopsis.

I am so glad not to be famous.

(Edit: now read synopsis of 'The Catcher in the Rye'. A 'coming of age' novel. I can't see how someone would be inspired to commit murder by reading that book which I am not inspired to read though I would watch a film of the book.)

Anyway, back to Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
Lyn

Previous

Return to About Christianity