What is required of a person to be a Christian

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

What is required of a person to be a Christian

Postby Val » October 20th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Pondy posted earlier on the political thread
"We are of course as a people becoming more pagan and less Christian."

So I wondered what does it take to become a Christian? and not just attending church/chapel etc.
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light!

Edna St. Vincent Millay
Val

Re: What is required of a person to be a Christian

Postby Lyn » October 20th, 2016, 7:42 pm

First of all believing in Christ, Val.

If we do that it naturally follows that we will try to emulate Christ. Such as, loving one another, not being too judgemental, eg making allowances; being prepared to walk away from an argument rather than losing rag, putting others first but obviously not at the expense of our own health or family - He said we were to love others as we love ourselves so that means taking care of ourselves; being humble, not Uriah Heep- type humble which to me that means being very aware of our own shortcomings.
Lots of things really, basically treating others as we would like to be treated.

We're human and every one of has weaknesses so we'll fall down at times on all the above. Forgiving ourselves is often more difficult than forgiving others! It's also, I believe, important to remember that being kind and helpful does not mean being a pushover because we do no-one any favours if we allow ourselves to be exploited.

People who are not Christian can conform to the above ideals, often do it better than us!

The above sounds like "work" in many ways but it's really more of a attitude because no-one can be busying around, striving all the time.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » October 20th, 2016, 8:34 pm

To join the Catholic Church of course, while it still exists in its present form because Schism is on the near horizon, thanks to billionaire George Soros (an atheist) and a lukewarm Pope, and bishops of course who never preach a sermon on sin.
The Schism will come soon, perhaps next year the 100th anniversary of Fatima.
Many Cardinals and bishops will be in error and fall away from the true Church.On the other hand some in the United States and Canada will remain firm.Many in African countries will also remain faithful.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby NicholasMarks » October 21st, 2016, 10:28 am

Val wrote:Pondy posted earlier on the political thread
"We are of course as a people becoming more pagan and less Christian."

So I wondered what does it take to become a Christian? and not just attending church/chapel etc.

How can anyone who tries to follow Jesus ignore this thread.

When you have tried to follow his accurate teaching for as long as I have you meet many circumstances which demands you do one thing but if you are in tune with Jesus there is an alternative option…that is…responding the way Jesus would.

One thing this teaches you is that many people will introduce problems for you just for effect…to wind you up…and though this might be low-key, harmless fun, it can also manifest itself into huge problems…especially because they are designed to drain you of your spiritual health and strength.

The problems can go much deeper than this, but, as an overview, we can see that it is wise to follow Jesus, quietly, calmly and accurately.
NicholasMarks

Postby Lyn » October 21st, 2016, 11:41 am

I agree with all of what you say.
There's a passage about us being a room swept clean - so easy to pollute again.
It seems as though the world and his wife are out to tempt us. Someone I know said that before they were Christian, they had some temptations; afterwards, were overwhelmed by them! Temptations practically came out of the woodwork.
We are so weak too. It is sobering.
Being in the world but not of the world is not easy.
Just thinking out loud.

(edited for poor syntax)
Last edited by Lyn on October 21st, 2016, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyn

Postby NicholasMarks » October 21st, 2016, 12:47 pm

Lyn wrote:I agree with all of what you say.
There's a passage about us being a room swept clean - so easy to pollute again.
It seems as though the world and his wife are out to tempt us. Someone I know said that, before they were Christian, they had some temptations; after, were overwhelmed by them! They practically came out of the woodwork.
We are so weak too. It is sobering.
Being in the world but not of the world is not easy.
Just thinking out loud.

Following Jesus, as I see it, then...is accepting that Jesus only wants to help us. Not using the knowledge of man but using the righteous knowledge of Almighty God and this is better than mankind's because it takes in a much wider scope of scientific facts appertaining to our health and welfare. Hardly surprising then that various agents of poor Christian teaching want to harness the power that Jesus' word inspires but twist it a little so that they have a freedom in a teaching, which, in truth, they are already banned from.

As far as good order and responsible behaviour is concerned, with Jesus, it is the basis of his teaching, but with man-made laws, though these high integrity laws are also part of their background laws, (shall not steal, shall not kill, shall not lie, etc, etc.) it is what they say we must or mustn't do, but it is often shown to us that behind the scenes they are doing things entirely differently....no wonder the world is in such a mess !!
NicholasMarks

Postby Val » October 21st, 2016, 1:04 pm

Lyn wrote:First of all believing in Christ, Val.

If we do that it naturally follows that we will try to emulate Christ. Such as, loving one another, not being too judgemental, eg making allowances; being prepared to walk away from an argument rather than losing rag, putting others first but obviously not at the expense of our own health or family - He said we were to love others as we love ourselves so that means taking care of ourselves; being humble, not Uriah Heep- type humble which to me that means being very aware of our own shortcomings.
Lots of things really, basically treating others as we would like to be treated.

We're human and every one of has weaknesses so we'll fall down at times on all the above. Forgiving ourselves is often more difficult than forgiving others! It's also, I believe, important to remember that being kind and helpful does not mean being a pushover because we do no-one any favours if we allow ourselves to be exploited.

People who are not Christian can conform to the above ideals, often do it better than us!

The above sounds like "work" in many ways but it's really more of a attitude because no-one can be busying around, striving all the time.

Thank you lyn.

You are my kind of Christian, Pondy and NicholasMarks doesn't really address the question, to my mind to be a Christian you would have to be outside denominations or cliques although certain policies and procedures within Christian organisations will influence some people to that particular group, you'd easily recognise Christian qualities once you get to know people.
And for myself even from people who are not even Christian; like my next door neighbour who is a devout Muslim but a likeable honest hard-working man who would go out of his way to help if possible.
I am away for the weekend but will have my phone to look in from time to time.
Thank you for replies.
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light!

Edna St. Vincent Millay
Val

Postby Lyn » October 21st, 2016, 2:07 pm

I found all the replies interesting, Val. Glad you liked mine but it's very easy to be theoretical, less so to live life that way. Getting older means that some challenges fade - but others take their place. So we can never afford to be complacent.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » October 21st, 2016, 2:46 pm

The Roman Catholic Church,Val is not a denomination but the one true Church of God.All the rest are denominations or imaginative ones (as per Nicholas!Marks).
What Lyn has described are some of the qualities which one needs in order to be a practising Christian.What I described was the first step, belong to the original Church.A request falling upon deaf ears, as you lack Faith.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » October 21st, 2016, 3:02 pm

I see Val as having an enquiring mind.
The Orthodox believe they were the original church, ergo the 'one true church'.
Those of more evangelical persuasion believe they are putting their faith into practice in the way it was originally intended.
The ones in between don't worry too much about any of that, are happy to pray and try to do their best to be good Christians.
All part of life's rich tapestry edit: interfaith groups celebrate that very thing, giving glory to God (when they work well).
Last edited by Lyn on October 21st, 2016, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyn

Next

Return to About Christianity