What is required of a person to be a Christian

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: What is required of a person to be a Christian

Postby Pondero » January 4th, 2017, 12:48 pm

It is the conflicting advice given in Amoris Laetitia that causes the problem.I think it is on Chapter 8. Some Catholics think they can get married again after divorce in the Church even without an annulment.That is contrary to previous Church teaching. The four Cardinals are merely asking questions.Why won't the Pope answer them. Dubia means "doubt".Because of the ambiguousness of Chapter 8, questions are being raised.

EDIT

I have just read the Guardian article and I don't agree with it at all.I don't get my information from the secular press in any case, but from Catholic publications, who can tell you what is going on in the Vatican.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » January 4th, 2017, 1:42 pm

What Pope Francis has answered are not proper answers but ways of a politician to dodge the questions. I have a magazine for December 2016 in front of me called Faithful Insight which I received yesterday by snail mail. It sees things correctly in my view. Parts of it maybe on the internet, I am not sure.
EDIT

I have had a lot of work running about to do so I could not devote myself to this topic. However, now I have read more about it, it appears the Pope is teaching contradictory doctrines on marriage.The Pope is not speaking infallibly at present.He gives wishy washy answers to the five question.(So you don't know what he means as you can't get a straight answer out of him.)
There is a procedure of some kind for the four Dubia Cardinals to follow which could lead to Schism, a new Church.
We will wait and see!
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » January 4th, 2017, 7:06 pm

I have never come across AkA Catholic before Lyn quoted from it. One article I read in it was pretending to be traditionalist but was really attacking Orthodox Christianity, I wondered if it was a genuine magazine.
Well it isn't really, it is an internet based publication, and unlike most magazines in writing which have as list of directors, board of directors, editorial staff , I can't find much about AKA Catholic at all.

There is something strange about it, it doesn't pass the smell test in my view as being an honest, traditionalist magazine.
There is a better one in England called Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice, magazine, on the internet.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 4th, 2017, 7:19 pm

'Faithful Insight', a new colour magazine from Lifesitenews: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/lifes ... ul-insight

A not quite up to date article from the Tablet (you have to subscribe to get the latest): http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/6454/0/ ... -cardinal-

All the Pope is saying is that not every question can be answered with a yes or a no; not everything is black or white.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 4th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Lyn wrote:'Faithful Insight', a new colour magazine from Lifesitenews: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/lifes ... ul-insight

A not quite up to date article from the Tablet (you have to subscribe to get the latest): http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/6454/0/ ... -cardinal-

All the Pope is saying is that not every question can be answered with a yes or a no; not everything is black or white.

I am glad you found faithful insight magazine here, I subscribe to the paper edition, which I have in front of me as I write. As for the Tablet, it is not respected by traditionalist, Orthodox readers. One magazine ,you have not come across is called Convivium, a Canadian magazine, which I have contributed to and arrives by post , occasionally. I am going to stop paying for it. It is not to my taste.

Of course I disagree with the Pope, if he really did give those answers to the five questions, I have seen it nowhere else ,so far.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 4th, 2017, 8:32 pm

The Pope hasn't changed any of the rules, they are still intact, but he favours compassion rather than legalism, meeting people where they are now. He doesn't want to leave people out in the cold which is what has happened historically and is not at all Christ-like.

I don't see what the big deal is, Jesus rebuked the Jewish hierarchy of his day for sticking to the letter of the law rather than the spirit. Quite rightly.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 4th, 2017, 8:51 pm

Lyn wrote:The Pope hasn't changed any of the rules, they are still intact, but he favours compassion rather than legalism, meeting people where they are now. He doesn't want to leave people out in the cold which is what has happened historically and is not at all Christ-like.

I don't see what the big deal is, Jesus rebuked the Jewish hierarchy of his day for sticking to the letter of the law rather than the spirit. Quite rightly.

The trouble is we don't know what the rules are any more since Pope Frances issued "Amoris Laetitia " especially on the subject of divorce and re-marriage. Legalism is a word often used to condemn those orthodox Catholics who stick to the truth, who know right from wrong and when it occurs, see black from white, and do not see shades of grey. I don't use the word "legalism" .
Orthodox ,traditionalist Catholics don't like being called right wing, as that is a political term, nor should they like being called lefties or left wing. ( I know you didn't mention that point Lyn)

Well Jesus condemned the Pharisees because they were hypocritical. As for people leaving others in the cold , it is the traditional Catholics who go to Mass frequently who support the St Vincent de Paul society that visit the poor at home and give to the needy.We don't leave people in the cold.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 4th, 2017, 9:12 pm

I didn't mean literally "Out in the cold", as in cold weather :) . More "outcast" though that seems extreme, as does excommunicated.

Ah well it will all come out in the wash.
Parturiunt montes, nascetur ridiculus mus
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 4th, 2017, 9:54 pm

We have some Out of the Cold shelters for homeless.One of them is St.Matthews Anglican Church on Bloor St.W.Etobicoke. which used to take people in on at least Wednesday nights.No I know you didn't mean it literally Lyn.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » April 21st, 2017, 1:46 pm

Moved from Snippets.

This year Easter Monday is the Feast Day of Our Lady of Arrabida (Portugal). But in any case why was Easter Monday given to the workers at all if not because of it's connection with Easter and it's religious significance?That is why it was made a holiday.Pressure from trade unions in the old days had something to do with it too.

As for marijuana being used recreationally here after subsequent legislation is approved by the Provinces on July 1, 2018. They use it now recreationally when pretending to be medical users, in any case here in Toronto doctors easily prescribe medical marijuana to anyone.Stores selling the weed are open downtown already and no matter how many times they get raided they re-open.
The government should definitely de criminalize marijuana use, and give users tickets if driving impaired.Treat the use of THC as a health hazard (as they do in Portugal for a wide variety of drugs like fetanyl): Go after the traffickers only.
I maintain that widening the availability of marijuana use is not a good thing as I pointed out earlier. More people will become addicted and destroy whatever brain cells they have left after this legislation.
Heaven knows it is difficult enough driving on the 401 now, just wait until next year!!

And in case you are wondering what has marijuana got do with "What is required of a person to be a Christian," It has a lot to with it!
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to About Christianity