The Spiritual Nature of Almighty God

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: The Spiritual Nature of Almighty God

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » October 22nd, 2016, 2:48 pm

NicholasMarks wrote:If the universe is made from all this superabundant, dynamic energy, owned by Almighty God and taught to us about by Jesus Christ, ...

Can you illustrate where in the Bible (e.g. in the Gospels) Jesus Christ talked about this? Thanks.
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby Lyn » October 22nd, 2016, 3:14 pm

I've been searching and came across this - I didn't notice it was from the Watchtower at first but, still, the Biblical passages (New World translation) may correspond with what Nicholas says.

“I myself have become full of power, with the spirit of Jehovah.” (Micah 3:8) Jesus promised his disciples: “You will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon you.” (Acts 1:8) And the apostle Paul spoke of “the power of holy spirit.”—Romans 15:13, 19.

So, what may we conclude from the foregoing? There is a close connection between the holy spirit and the power of God. The holy spirit is the means by which Jehovah exerts his power. Put simply, the holy spirit is God’s applied power, or his active force. And what a force that is! We cannot comprehend the power needed to create the entire universe. Through the prophet Isaiah, Jehovah suggested that we reflect on the following: “Raise your eyes high up and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who is bringing forth the army of them even by number, all of whom he calls even by name. Due to the abundance of dynamic energy, he also being vigorous in power, not one of them is missing.”—Isaiah 40:26.

Thus the Bible indicates that the universe in all its order and harmony exists thanks to the “dynamic energy,” or power, of Almighty God. Clearly, God’s active force is immense, and our own existence depends on it.

Jehovah may use his holy spirit on a grand scale, as in the creation of the universe. But he can also use it in behalf of his human creation. The Bible abounds in references to how God’s active force infused his servants on earth with power.
Lyn

Postby godfrey » October 22nd, 2016, 3:29 pm

Ah. I think you can find our Nicholas' Google+ page here, and his interests seem to be very JW-oriented.
Milligan nodded. What was the use? After all, if Albert Einstein stood for a thousand years in front of fifty monkeys explaining the theory of relativity, at the end, they'd still be just monkeys.
- Spike Milligan, Puckoon
godfrey

Postby Sprocket » October 22nd, 2016, 4:02 pm

Now you mention it, yes; his thing about power is in line with their belief that the Holy Spirit is "holy spirit", a force, not a person.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby GregB » October 22nd, 2016, 4:14 pm

True. Come to think of it, I don't recall reading any reference to the Holy Spirit (or even holy spirit) in any of his posts, just the vague expression 'the righteous spirit of God'. He often mentions 'Jesus Christ and Almighty God' without the third member of the Trinity.
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Pondero » October 22nd, 2016, 4:45 pm

Thanks for tracking down Nicholas Marks , godfrey. He refused to answer which church he belonged to in the past. Showing in my view his dishonesty, by continuing to post what JWs believe without giving them credit for it.
Now we know, Nicholas is exposed :roll:
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Postby NicholasMarks » October 22nd, 2016, 5:21 pm

Nicholas isn't exposed godfrey/GregB/Pondero/Sprocket...

Nicholas is giving you the benefit of his own personal experiences which include talking with Jehovah's Witnesses...as I recall telling you in one of my earlier posts.

I find them a very devout people and I wouldn't dismiss their teaching lightly...but I talk about the righteous spirit within us...now...if anyone can detect the difference between God's Holy Spirit and the righteous spirit within us honed and tuned by Jesus' accurate teaching, please let me know because I am afraid they are one of the same thing...unless of course you don't want to be a part of Jesus Christ's accurate teaching.

Do you think that Almighty God or Jesus will ignore a people who, like Jesus, inspire so much dislike because of their righteous stance in the world...but here, we aren't talking about them we are talking about those who might miss salvation because they are pinning their hopes on a religion and not on Jesus.

I like to think I have shown you by science rather than by faith but it all amounts to the same thing...Follow Jesus Christ accurately else, take the consequences of not getting it right and thereby not be ready for the great tribulations which, if nothing else I have reminded you about and encouraged you, by showing it is the accurate teaching that will save all those who repent...directly to Almighty God, via Jesus.

NicholasMarks

Postby Lyn » October 22nd, 2016, 5:50 pm

Pondero wrote:Thanks for tracking down Nicholas Marks , godfrey. He refused to answer which church he belonged to in the past. Showing in my view his dishonesty, by continuing to post what JWs believe without giving them credit for it.

Well he's answered you now, Pondy and I don't know about tracking him down, he has been here today and I thought he'd come back later on, he'd hardly gone missing.

Where does dishonesty come into it? That's a huge accusation.

I posted something from the Watchtower earlier and quite liked it, does that make me dishonest because I'm not a JW?

Seems to me as though people just want to pounce.

Nicholas, I think you'll have to say, definitely, whether or not you are a Jehovah's Witness, or just like some of their teaching. A couple of days ago, when asked about which church you belonged to, you said you prayed alone so I am assuming that means you don't attend Kingdom Hall. All of us here (not sure about godfrey, forgotten), have said which church we attend or used to attend so I'm not asking you to reveal anything which no-one else reveals. Your website certainly has a lot of JW on it, must admit I was surprised.
Lyn

Postby godfrey » October 22nd, 2016, 7:00 pm

It certainly wasn't my intention to 'pounce'. Idle curiosity led me to Nicholas' page, and I was quite taken aback, on returning here, to find that Lyn had already found similar stuff in the Watchtower.

Nicholas, your last post did not actually affirm or deny that you are a Jehovah's Witness. For myself, I like to know who I am talking to, and perhaps you will clarify the matter; in particular, if you are not, on what points of doctrine you differ from them.

Lyn is quite right in that I have never myself explicitly identified my church. It is a local non-denominational charismatic church currently under the apostolic direction of Colin Urquhart. If need be, I would give out the website by PM. Our statement of faith is:

1. THE SCRIPTURES
We believe that "all scripture is given by inspiration of God", by which we understand that the books which form the canon of the Old and New Testaments as originally given are entirely inspired and free from all error in the whole and in the part. These books constitute the written Word of God, the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
2 Timothy 3:15-17, 1 Thessalonians 2:13, 2 Peter 1:21

2. THE GODHEAD
We believe the one true God has revealed Himself as the eternally self-existent "I AM", the Creator of heaven and earth, and the Redeemer of mankind. He has further revealed himself as embodying the principles of relationship and association as Father, Son and Holy Ghost, as the Triune God.
Deuteronomy 6:4, Isaiah 43:10-11, Matthew 28:19, Luke 3:22

3. THE FALL OF MAN
We believe that man was created in the image and after the likeness of God. that he fell by a voluntary revolt and as a consequence lost his spiritual life and became subject to the power of Satan. We also believe that this condition of spiritual death has been transmitted to the entire human race, Christ Jesus alone being excepted and, hence, that every child of Adam is born into the world with a nature that is inherently corrupt, and which cannot be spiritually changed by mere information apart from divine grace.
Genesis 1:26-27, Genesis 2:17, Genesis 3:6, Romans 5:12-19

4. THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is the Son of God, born of a virgin. That He performed miracles, that He lived a sinless life, that He redeemed us by His death and resurrection, in that He descended into hell, and that He ascended to the right hand of the Father, and that He will personally return in power and glory.
Matthew 1:21-23, Hebrews 7:26, Acts 2:22, 1 Corinthians 15:3, Matthew 28:6, Ephesians 4:9-10, 1 Thessalonians 4.16

5. SALVATION
We believe that, owing to universal spiritual death through sin, no one can enter the Kingdom of God unless they are born again. We also believe that our redemption has been accomplished solely by the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, who died as our substitute, and that new birth comes only through faith in Christ, and that repentance is a vital part of believing.
Luke 24:47, John 3:3, Romans 10:13-15, Ephesians 2:8, Titus 2:1, Titus 3:5-7

6. WATER BAPTISM
We believe in water baptism for all believers.
Mark 16:16

7. THE BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT
We believe that all believers are entitled to, should earnestly seek and expect the promise of the Father, the baptism in the Holy Spirit, according to the command of our Lord Jesus Christ. This was the normal experience of all in the early Christian Church. With it comes the enduement of power for life and service, the bestowment of the gifts and their uses in the work of the ministry. The baptism of believers in the Holy Ghost is witnessed by the initial physical sign of speaking with other tongues as the Spirit of God gives them utterance.
Acts 1:4-8, John 20:22, Luke 24.49, 1 Corinthians 12:1-31, Acts 2.4

8. DIVINE HEALING
We believe that deliverance from sickness is provided for in the sacrificial work of Jesus Christ, and that divine healing is the will of God for all believers.
Isaiah 53:4-5, Matthew 8:16, James 5:14-16, 1 Peter 2:24

9. THE CHURCH
We believe the church, which is the body and bride of Christ, is called to the worship and service of God, to observe the ordinance of water baptism, to continue steadfastly in the apostles doctrine and fellowship, to the breaking of bread, to prayer and to the practice of good works. We also believe that believers within the church should support the work of the ministry financially through their tithes and offerings, because the primary task of the Church in all ages is to teach all nations and make disciples, bringing the Gospel to bear on every aspect of life and thought.
Ephesians 1:23, John 4:23, Colossians 3:24, Acts 2:42, 1 Corinthians 11:26, Jarnes 2:14-21, Malachi 3:8-11, Matthew 28:19-20

10. THE CONSUMMATION
We believe the consummation of all things includes the visible, personal and glorious return of Jesus Christ, the resurrection of the dead, the translation of those alive in Christ, the judgement of the just and the unjust and the fulfilment of Christ's kingdom in the new heavens and the new earth. Satan, his hosts and all men outside Christ are finally separated from the presence of God, enduring eternal punishment. All who have been redeemed by Christ from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of light will be in the presence of God forever, giving Him unending praise and glory.
Matthew 24:27-30, 1 Corinthians 15:50-57, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17, Revelation 14:10-12, Revelation 20:11-15. Revelation 19:20, 1 Thessalonians 4.17, Revelation 3:11-13

Milligan nodded. What was the use? After all, if Albert Einstein stood for a thousand years in front of fifty monkeys explaining the theory of relativity, at the end, they'd still be just monkeys.
- Spike Milligan, Puckoon
godfrey

Postby Pondero » October 22nd, 2016, 7:04 pm

Lyn wrote:
Pondero wrote:Thanks for tracking down Nicholas Marks , godfrey. He refused to answer which church he belonged to in the past. Showing in my view his dishonesty, by continuing to post what JWs believe without giving them credit for it.

Well he's answered you now, Pondy and I don't know about tracking him down, he has been here today and I thought he'd come back later on, he'd hardly gone missing.

Where does dishonesty come into it? That's a huge accusation.

I posted something from the Watchtower earlier and quite liked it, does that make me dishonest because I'm not a JW?

Seems to me as though people just want to pounce.

Nicholas, I think you'll have to say, definitely, whether or not you are a Jehovah's Witness, or just like some of their teaching. A couple of days ago, when asked about which church you belonged to, you said you prayed alone so I am assuming that means you don't attend Kingdom Hall. All of us here (not sure about godfrey, forgotten), have said which church we attend or used to attend so I'm not asking you to reveal anything which no-one else reveals. Your website certainly has a lot of JW on it, must admit I was surprised.

I suspected him from the beginning when he first began to post, he was evasive and refused to answer any questions about his posts.That is dishonesty, a bit like plagiarism really, using material without identifying your sources and letting people believe it is your own.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to About Christianity