Ideas about God and Evolution

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: Ideas about God and Evolution

Postby NicholasMarks » November 8th, 2016, 11:31 am

Theophilus wrote:
Pondero wrote:It is difficult to determine whether NM has a mental problem as outlined by Theo, or whether he is just having us on.

Whilst I described a mental problem, I did not say that NM suffers from it. That would only be true if the opinions he espouses ruled his life outside the online world. I can never do this, and actually doubt it. The thing about the Internet is that any opinion or belief, no matter how ridiculous, untenable or niche can be expressed on an equal platform with well-established and evidenced theories. Anyone can "try out" some weird and outlandish belief on an online forum, chat room etc, under a degree of anonymity, and real people from all over the world actually respond! Sometimes they even take it seriously! Even if a belief, or the holder of the belief, is ridiculed and insulted, they can still receive a greater amount of attention than they would in real life. That can be addictive.

Even online, you're not going to get attention everywhere. That's why smaller or more inactive forums sometimes attract the more attention-seeking of monopaths. They're the only place they can get their voice heard and the attention they desire. If someone truly believed they held some all-encompassing belief that seemingly no one else holds, and moreover that belief was the only thing able to save mankind from destruction, you'd not be wasting your time on an inactive forum: you'd be risking face-to-face ridicule in the real world like Stanley Green Vix mentioned up-thread. As I said, I doubt NM is a local-celebrity in his own hometown, well-known for his unique take on science, genetics and the Bible. He prefers the relative safety of expressing his views online and the "safe" attention he receives, even if it is sometimes rude.

That's fair enough, but the trade off is that his views are unlikely to be taken seriously. He cannot be compared with Jesus Christ or His Apostles - who courageously gave up their lives for what they believed in - regardless of how much NM wishes to identify with them.

In some ways you are right Theophilus and in some ways you are wrong. Jesus Christ taught one particular teaching which is recorded as being the way, the truth and the life...with me so far...He also told us about our spiritual nature...God is a spirit and all who worship him must do so in spirit and in truth...

So what is our spiritual nature and how can we obtain everlasting life from it???

Simple really...we follow Jesus accurately...now that isn't just a message to me...it is a message to you and to everyone who wants to be saved from the fiery lake of sulphur which, according to some observers, is pressing down heavily upon us as we speak. So...our spiritual nature can save us but only if we are following Jesus accurately.Many don't even know what Jesus accurately said...so forgive me if I remind them.

The reason why it is so important is because we are living in a universe that is owned by Almighty God and he, not me, has laid down the terms and conditions that we must follow but what we find is that false teachers have interceded in that teaching and will be directly responsible for the fall of many who might otherwise be saved.

It is a natural disaster which we have been given prior warning about but it will serve as God's Judgement...now...if declaring Jesus to you all on a Christian section of a public forum that offers that facility is a sign of madness...I will say it again...follow the accurate teaching of Jesus Christ, as he spoke it, as he taught it, and as he believed in it...it is all part of a righteous science that will save those who are deemed salvageable.
NicholasMarks

Postby sarniajoy » November 8th, 2016, 11:36 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sarniajoy

Postby Val » November 8th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Val wrote:
This post was not responded to earlier so I repost to see if Leslie will reply

Well you may be wrong Leslie, because Mendel studied physics at the University of Vienna under Doppler (a very famous name) and botany under Palaeontologist an Botanist Professor Franz Unger who wrote much on the possibility of evolution and proposed it before Darwin, so Mendel was well versed in the possibility, Mendel most likely joined the religious order to further his education for free, that plus he had little interest in women.

Pondero wrote:Lyn asked me what was so funny, so I told her.
I know Mendel would not leave God out of his answer, whatever it would be.
When you say what about me? What exactly are you asking. I m guessing here, No I did not get my education in Canada free, I paid for every penny of it, and no I did not join a religious order at any time in my life, and I have the normal sex urges of a male and I like women. My parents sent me to work as a clerk in an office at the age of 16, that was in England of course.
What else would you like to know?

My badly presented question was regarding what you thought of Mendel and his education under Profession Unger who was a proponent of the theory of evolution, nothing to do with your good self
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Pondero » November 8th, 2016, 5:56 pm

I have no idea what Mendel would think. You are appealing to authority. argumentum ad verecundiam as Aristotle would say. In his book Sophistical Refutations

I had an extremely rushed morning, thanks for the pm. I will read it in full today.Thanks Val.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Pondero » November 8th, 2016, 11:24 pm

The thing about the Internet is that any opinion or belief, no matter how ridiculous, untenable or niche can be expressed on an equal platform with well-established and evidenced theories. Anyone can "try out" some weird and outlandish belief on an online forum, chat room etc, under a degree of anonymity, and real people from all over the world actually respond! Sometimes they even take it seriously! Even if a belief, or the holder of the belief, is ridiculed and insulted, they can still receive a greater amount of attention than they would in real life. That can be addictive.

Well said, Theo, how true.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » November 9th, 2016, 4:37 am

Private messages are PRIVATE, that means CONFIDENTIAL.
Someone wants to speak to you PRIVATELY.
You do not say "Thank you for the PM", in public, so that everyone knows they have sent you a PM.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » November 9th, 2016, 8:48 am

Lyn wrote:Private messages are PRIVATE, that means CONFIDENTIAL.
Someone wants to speak to you PRIVATELY.
You do not say "Thank you for the PM", in public, so that everyone knows they have sent you a PM.

He didn't disclose the contents of the PM, so no big deal!
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » November 9th, 2016, 9:56 am

I still don't think it is right, Sj, and have never seen it done before except by people who have actually sent a PM giving a link or something like that.

I suppose it isn't that important, just seems indiscreet, the thin end of the wedge to me. However I accept it isn't my business and get what you mean so, sorry, won't say any more about it.
Lyn

Postby Lyn » November 14th, 2016, 11:32 pm

This article is a good one imo (apologies if it has been posted before, I haven't looked back at every page of the thread):

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... nformation
Lyn

Previous

Return to About Christianity