The elusive 'truth'

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

The elusive 'truth'

Postby sarniajoy » November 9th, 2016, 11:44 am

We all have different experiences during our lives, and they are what a person makes of them, it doesn't mean they point to the elusive 'truth'.  People who are convinced a god does exist have no more credibility than those of us who are non believers. My experience has convinced me the Biblical god is a human creation as it didn't provide any help or comfort when I needed it most, in spite of me pleading with it for assistance Without any evidence to support the existence, or non existence, of a god of any sort, you can only hold on to what seems to make sense to you personally.
sarniajoy

Re: The elusive 'truth'

Postby Pondero » November 9th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Proof for the existence of God is philosophical proof. I doubt if you are going to read St.Thomas Aquinas's five proofs for the existence of God. I once wrote a 1500 page essay on his third proof for a university course . Now, what attracted me to religion of the Christian kind in 1952 was miracles . Miracles at Lourdes do occur, I was convinced of that and to believe in miracles meant to believe in God's existence, of course.*
Then I had to choose a church......I will stop there, as I answered your views on God.

* I knew nothing about St.Thomas in 1952, believing in miracles I took a leap of Faith.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby sarniajoy » November 9th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Pondero wrote:Proof for the existence of God is philosophical proof. I doubt if you are going to read St.Thomas Aquinas's five proofs for the existence of God. I once wrote a 1500 page essay on his third proof for a university course . Now, what attracted me to religion of the Christian kind in 1952 was miracles . Miracles at Lourdes do occur, I was convinced of that and to believe in miracles meant to believe in God's existence, of course.*
Then I had to choose a church......I will stop there, as I answered your views on God.

* I knew nothing about St.Thomas in 1952, believing in miracles I took a leap of Faith.

Having had a personal experience of a so called 'miracle' thanks to our 'miracle field', which was like a mini Lourdes for a time, I have come to a different conclusion to you. I believe the almost instant 'cure' of my frozen shoulder, which had defied medical assistance, was due to my body's own healing mechanism kicking in rather than help from the long dead Mary, who supposedly inhabited our field!
sarniajoy

Postby Pondero » November 9th, 2016, 2:58 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Pondero on November 9th, 2016, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Pondero » November 9th, 2016, 2:59 pm

I have not experienced a miracle myself SJ. But the evidence is there at Lourdes medical bureau for anyone to seek out. I have been to Lourdes twice, not on a proper pilgrimage, as the second trip was one of these bus tours of various countries when I stayed overnight.The first one was a short stop for a couple of hours which the tour director seemed to regret giving us.
I believe I received spiritual benefits.At the time I wasn't sick so I wasnt looking for a physical cure.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby sarniajoy » November 9th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Pondero wrote:I have not experienced a miracle myself SJ. But the evidence is there at Lourdes medical bureau for anyone to seek out. I have been to Lourdes twice, not on a proper pilgrimage, as the second trip was one of these bus tours of various countries when I stayed overnight.The first one was a short stop for a couple of hours which the tour director seemed to regret giving us.
I believe I received spiritual benefits.At the time I wasn't sick so I wasnt looking for a physical cure.

Each to their own interpretation. :)
sarniajoy

Postby NicholasMarks » November 13th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:
Pondero wrote:I have not experienced a miracle myself SJ. But the evidence is there at Lourdes medical bureau for anyone to seek out. I have been to Lourdes twice, not on a proper pilgrimage, as the second trip was one of these bus tours of various countries when I stayed overnight.The first one was a short stop for a couple of hours which the tour director seemed to regret giving us.

Each to their own interpretation. :)

The truth of Almighty God's existence is contained in the Holy Bible and especially in the Gospels.

Though there is much distress in the world today which appears to deny the existence of God, all that distress is Biblically pegged on the machinations of evil. Evil wants us to disregard Almighty God so that they can get on with their own destruction which all hinges upon manipulating the masses, regardless of their health and welfare, so that they, the truly evil, can enjoy undeserved privileges and ownership of this planet...Their time will soon be up.

There is no need to fight these cancerous people...it would do no good anyway...what we can do is cling to the accurate teaching of Jesus Christ and wait. Wait for the impending arrival of the promised Wormwood and the fiery lake of sulphur...knowing that repentance means salvation and salvation means everlasting life, here, in the flesh, on planet Earth, and regardless of what happens in between, true repentance will not fail us...mainly because we too will be blessed by the same science that resurrected Jesus Christ...and which can also repair us.
NicholasMarks

Postby sarniajoy » November 13th, 2016, 12:08 pm

NM, get help! :roll:
sarniajoy

Postby NicholasMarks » November 13th, 2016, 12:11 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:NM, get help! :roll:

It may have escaped your notice Sarniajoy...but I believe I have already got it.
NicholasMarks

Postby GregB » November 13th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Oh no, our resident deranged lunatic is back, presumably after a beneficial (we hope) course of electric shock treatment. (Well, you are partial to electricity, aren't you, you phoney false prophet twerp?)

I do realise this won't bother you in the slightest as clinically insane types like yourself are impervious to criticism, locked as you are in your own solipsistic world.
"I hate reality but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
- Woody Allen
GregB

Next

Return to About Christianity