What if?

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

What if?

Postby gone » November 23rd, 2016, 8:59 am

As a devout Christian what if you had an experience, which persuaded you god was asking you to sacrifice your child, would you obey that request? If not, why not?

Abraham was prepared to put his son through the trauma of sacrificing him all because he believed god was telling him to do so. What sort of father would do that? Surely any decent father would have told god to stick the request where the sun don't shine. In this day and age he would be prosecuted for even contemplating carrying out such a crime, and rightly so. Abraham should be vilified rather than treated as some sort of Biblical hero!
gone

Re: What if?

Postby Val » November 23rd, 2016, 10:24 am

Sarniajoy wrote:As a devout Christian what if you had an experience, which persuaded you god was asking you to sacrifice your child, would you obey that request? If not, why not?

Abraham was prepared to put his son through the trauma of sacrificing him all because he believed god was telling him to do so. What sort of father would do that? Surely any decent father would have told god to stick the request where the sun don't shine. In this day and age he would be prosecuted for even contemplating carrying out such a crime, and rightly so. Abraham should be vilified rather than treated as some sort of Biblical hero!

Well even for myself a devout kinda of atheist, but with a good working knowledge of the Christian bible and from living amongst Christians I am fairly sure that if one of then heard such voices they'd hurry to their nearest head doctor and get medicine for their hallucinations, it might have been different for Abraham as he spoke directly with his God and would have been used to talking with him.
I am who I am, your approval isn't needed
Val

Postby gone » November 30th, 2016, 2:26 pm

Abraham's god may have been a voice in his head caused by a psychiatric condition if it enticed him to sacrifice his son.
gone

Postby Sprocket » November 30th, 2016, 11:06 pm

The point of the story is that the God of the Hebrews was forbidding child-sacrifice, which was practised by some neighbouring nations at the time.
A cat once got frozen to -273 C, but it's 0k now.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » November 30th, 2016, 11:44 pm

Yes it was rife, Baal worshippers and others. So at that time it would not have been considered out of the ordinary for a person to believe that God required a child sacrifice.

The fact that God didn't allow Abraham to kill his son illustrates the fact that God wanted no child to be sacrificed to him and such sacrifices were forbidden thenceforward.
Lyn

Postby gone » December 1st, 2016, 8:39 am

But god apparently set him up first! If the story isn't a work of fiction surely the trauma Isaac must have experienced was abusive, and Abraham an awful parent not to have told god to stick the suggestion where the sun don't shine. The legitimate needs of humans should always come first before satisfying the supposed requests of any god.
gone

Postby Lyn » December 1st, 2016, 11:02 am

Stories such as that one have to be read in context, with an understanding of the time and culture. We cannot fully understand it with 21st century eyes.

However, I have oft thought of how Isaac must have felt, with not a little panic! So how you feel about it all is understandable.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » December 1st, 2016, 11:10 am

What if SJ stopped posting adolescent attempts to wind up Christians and grew up a bit? No, it'll never happen.
A cat once got frozen to -273 C, but it's 0k now.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » December 1st, 2016, 11:18 am

Water off duck's back Sprocks! :D

Still I do understand how she feels about this story, it's quite natural.
Lyn

Postby gone » December 1st, 2016, 11:21 am

Sprocket wrote:What if SJ stopped posting adolescent attempts to wind up Christians and grew up a bit? No, it'll never happen.

I am perfectly entitled to my POV, which is not intended as a wind up!
gone

Return to About Christianity