The Devil Picks his Battles.

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

The Devil Picks his Battles.

Postby Pondero » January 14th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Yes, the devil picks the countries to fight who do most good in the world. First it was (within living memory) Quebec, the bastion of Catholicism, that went down to defeat because of legislation imposed by the liberal government of Trudeau's father in the 1960s.
Later, for unknown (to me ) reasons it was Ireland; that missionary country of excellence, that fell to the devil's onslaught. It is now a pagan country.
Now, as of yesterday, it is that country mentioned in the Acts of the Apostles as Melita, or Malta GC. The bishops of Malta and. Gozo have allowed communion by the divorced and remarried ( in the civil order) to receive Communion if they feel like it -in what appears to be good conscience - to them.
This latest news is an affront to me and many others as Catholic converts. It allows subjective feelings to overule objective moral law that cannot be changed. :(
I am disgusted by the decision of the Maltese bishops. I can see how it came about, you see in 1976 when I first visited Malta GC I noticed nothing was said by the Church about the open night clubs frequented by young people. Again on my next visit within the last seven years I noticed young girls at dawn coming back from such places.Meanwhile the Church enforces strict rules about women with sleeveless dresses entering churches such as the Church of Mosta.
They were preaching to the converted , and ignoring the real problem.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Re: The Devil Picks his Battles.

Postby Val » January 15th, 2017, 3:42 pm

What a load of Male Bovine Manure, in the good old days Ireland god help us was a backwards place where a dictatorial supposedly Christian church ruled with an iron fist, they ruled by fear and superstition, only providing education to those who could afford it or those pillocks of the community that kowtowed to the clergies beck and call, the poor and those outside the circle were kept in their place.
It has take us years to grow balls and get rid of the scum of the earth that covered up for such disgusting atrocities against our young orphaned and marginalised children, a country that allowed a clergy to disgrace by naming from the pulpit young girls that fell pregnant; be it by rape or ignorance and send them to a life of hard labour as skivvies to the landed gentry or in laundries; and when due their babies taken from them and sold in the USA, Canada and UK or who ever paid the highest price as long as they went to mass.
Thankfully today we have a different church here in the auld sod or will have once we get rid of the last of the old guard who care more for the letter of the law, money and power.
The air is sweeter today as we live in a vibrant, caring multi-religious community with much less emphasis on mass going and more on community works to help those less well off …even unmarried mothers, lesbians, homosexuals or the asexual.
And even for me a converted atheist it is heartening to see Pope Francis going about doing his business with an understanding heart of the times we are in, he is to visit Ireland in 2018 and I say fair play to him may he have a long healthy and happy papacy.
With him and people like him at the helm the Catholic Church may have a future after all.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Pondero » January 15th, 2017, 4:44 pm

I have to chuckle when I see the balderdash that Val spews forth implying that Ireland never did any good to others in the spiritual world, Ireland sent missionaries out all over the world, to convert the heathen, to build schools and help the poor,and to cure the sick.No Church has done more to aid the sufferers of AIDS, than the Catholic Church, and prominent among them were priests,brothers and nuns.
The same can be said in medicine and education, The Irish priests and nuns were among the forefront of those who built schools and hospitals.

What Val is talking about if it occured at all in the horrible detail he talks about happened two centuries ago.

As I sit here enjoying the sun by the side of our swimming pool, after Mass and a hearty breakfast, I spare a thought for poor old Val, suffering from cold, and rain from not having seen the sun since Christmas :grin:
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 15th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Well Pondy, you are wrong there; it all happened in recent memory. Val is Irish, he has lived there all his life and seen it for himself, as did his parents. Alongside all that Val described was grinding poverty.

It's easy to have romantic ideas about Ireland, maybe visit for a holiday and see bits you want to see, but the Irish know what things were like.

As an aside, the Irish people who came to live over here were not treated very well, in fact were discriminated against, until fairly recent times. (Not well educated, professional Irish people of course.)

However, I won't argue with you about this because that won't alter anything.

I do have to ask though, what is wrong with girls going to night clubs? They do it here (boys too), dress up, dance and have fun with groups of friends until the early hours. It's quite normal behaviour for young people from all strata of society and educational levels. You are only young once! When they are settled down with mortgage and children they won't be able to go out clubbing - but will be glad they did.
Lyn

Postby Val » January 15th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Pondero wrote:I have to chuckle when I see the balderdash that Val spews forth implying that Ireland never did any good to others in the spiritual world, Ireland sent missionaries out all over the world, to convert the heathen, to build schools and help the poor,and to cure the sick.No Church has done more to aid the sufferers of AIDS, than the Catholic Church, and prominent among them were priests,brothers and nuns.
The same can be said in medicine and education, The Irish priests and nuns were among the forefront of those who built schools and hospitals.

What Val is talking about if it occured at all in the horrible detail he talks about happened two centuries ago.

As I sit here enjoying the sun by the side of our swimming pool, after Mass and a hearty breakfast, I spare a thought for poor old Val, suffering from cold, and rain from not having seen the sun since Christmas :grin:

What I wrote about happened right up to my time, the selling of babies went on into the sixties, women still looking for their children are being fobbed off by an uncaring Church but thankfully the old guard are dying out. True many fine teachers, doctors and nurses left Ireland to help those less well off, but if you could have watched a TV series last year where journalists researched the work of the Catholic missions you would be saddened by the way some of those miserable scumbags treated those innocents in their care, paedophilia was rampant amongst many of the religious brothers and priests, they destroyed so many and Rome covered up for them.
Nuns didn't fare much better they were cruel in the extreme, most of our best teachers and doctors were not religious.
So now as you relax at the nice pool in the warm sunshine maybe you'll get time to do some real research into your beloved church history
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Postby Pondero » January 16th, 2017, 10:30 am

I have to take your word for it Val, that babies were sold up and into the nineteen sixties by church organizations. It is a terrible thing to happen, but you cannot condemn the whole church for that . It is unfair to the many good Irish priests and bishops who still live there. It is not necessarily the "old guard"
that are left who were responsible either.There are also, many good people in Ireland, who follow the Catholic faith to the best of their ability and they are not the best educated either. My mother in law could hardly read, she was Maltese and yet she had more grace and decorum than a PhD.

As for the Irish Times and other press in Ireland, they are out looking for salacious material to print to sell newspapers and do not have the best interests of the Irish people at heart. You know what I think about the Canadian press . Well, the journalists are made up of mainly almost exclusively agnostic and atheists, with rarely a Christian believer among them.Television journalists are the same.
Pondero

Return to About Christianity