Pope Francis

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: Pope Francis

Postby Sprocket » April 6th, 2017, 6:44 am

It's certainly pure kitsch, but if 'Life Site' hates it, I like it on principle.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » April 6th, 2017, 9:55 am

:D Sprocket.

Pondy, it is exactly the same mural. I have checked, looked at the link I posted and yours.

Not a bad bit of art if not my taste and we are told that Jesus died for everyone. Quite moving to see Christ carrying people to Heaven, illustrates that we are in no position to judge who will be saved or not. He didn't like people who stuck to the letter of the law! Called them hypocrites.

Lifesitenews is utterly vile and not truthful! Do try and read some unbiased articles please.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » April 6th, 2017, 10:32 am

You don't get it. That is all I can say.If it wasn't for Life site news we wouldn't know what was going on at the Vatican.in some respects I fear it is worse there now than it was under the Borgia's.
Orwell had it right when he wrote 1984. And he was not Catholic, but he had a great understanding of evil and good.
I am hoping that either on May 13 th the this year or late September this year we have some kind of divine intervention by the Blessed Mother (100th Anniversary dates of Fatima miracles)
When this Pope Francis was inaugurated (if that is the right word) lightning struck the Vatican,. A symbol I think of a horrible reign.

It has finally dawned on me that you are mocking my views, but this will not stop me from broadcasting what I think ought to be widely known. Some people here will understand what I am saying and take it in the right spirit.

He didn't like people who stuck to the letter of the law! Called them hypocrites. That is not true Lyn, as he called them hypocrites not because they stuck to the letter of the law . He did it because they said one thing and did another, that is being a hypocrite.
Last edited by Pondero on April 6th, 2017, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing make you afraid.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
Patience gains all things.
If you have God you will want for nothing.
God alone suffices.

— St. Teresa, The bookmark of Teresa of Ávila, [28]
Pondero

Postby Lyn » April 6th, 2017, 11:54 am

I'm not mocking your views Pondy, honestly.
This is a discussion forum and we aren't all going to share the same points of view which is what makes it interesting. We learn things.
Quite honestly, I've learned a few things from you and your posts have certainly made me look things up which I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » April 6th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Religious debate in my view is not conducted in the serious manner it used to be done. It is trivialized. I will accept your word that mocking of my views was not your intent Lyn so let us move on.
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Lyn » April 7th, 2017, 11:21 am

I think we are capable of debate on here. Sometimes there is an attempt to lighten things up but many of us enjoy real debate. It helps if there are a few people involved with different views but there are only a few regulars on St Thads.

The dictionary definition of hypocrisy is:

the practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.

The religious leaders of Jesus's day (or some of them) fitted that bill.
Basically, they lacked love. Sticking to the letter of their law when it would be more loving to someone not to, illustrates that. "They strain at gnats and swallow camels".

Though Jesus had great respect for the law he put care of people first. He saw people as individuals.

(Thanks)
Lyn

Postby Pondero » April 7th, 2017, 2:12 pm

My Canadian Oxford Dictionary (second edition) defines hypocrisy this way.

1. The assumption or postulation of moral standards , principles etc. to which one's own behaviour does not confirm; dissimulation ,pretense. 2. an instance of this [Old French ypocrisie from ecclesiastical Latin hypocrisis from Greek hupokrisis acting of a part pretense (as HYPO-, krinō decide, judge)]
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Postby Lyn » April 7th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Yes! Much the same.
Jesus could see through them. They postured one thing but in reality, did not live up to it.
A lot of us are like that but we don't go around pontificating!

There are "eight woes" connected with this but I'll have to look them up.

Here is one:
http://www.openheavensministries.org/me ... tcot8w.htm

Another from Bible Gateway:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... rsion=NASB

Plenty more references.

This from wiki which I like:
The eight woes[edit]
The eight woes of hypocrisy are:

They taught about God but did not love God — they did not enter the kingdom of heaven themselves, nor did they let others enter. (Matt 23:13)
They devoured widows' houses and for a pretence made a long prayer, for which they would receive a greater damnation. (Matt 23:14)
They preached God but converted people to dead religion, thus making those converts twice as much sons of hell as they themselves were. (Matt 23:15)
They taught that an oath sworn by the temple or altar was not binding, but that if sworn by the gold ornamentation of the temple, or by a sacrificial gift on the altar, it was binding. The gold and gifts, however, were not sacred in themselves as the temple and altar were, but derived a measure of lesser sacredness by being connected to the temple or altar. The teachers and Pharisees worshiped at the temple and offered sacrifices at the altar because they knew that the temple and altar were sacred. How then could they deny oath-binding value to what was truly sacred and accord it to objects of trivial and derived sacredness? (Matt 23:16-22)
They taught the law but did not practice some of the most important parts of the law — justice, mercy, faithfulness to God. They obeyed the minutiae of the law such as tithing spices but not the weightier matters of the law. (Matt 23:23-24)
They presented an appearance of being 'clean' (self-restrained, not involved in carnal matters), yet they were dirty inside: they seethed with hidden worldly desires, carnality. They were full of greed and self-indulgence. (Matt 23:25-26)
They exhibited themselves as righteous on account of being scrupulous keepers of the law, but were in fact not righteous: their mask of righteousness hid a secret inner world of ungodly thoughts and feelings. They were full of wickedness. They were like whitewashed tombs, beautiful on the outside, but full of dead men's bones. (Matt 23:27-28)
They professed a high regard for the dead prophets of old, and claimed that they would never have persecuted and murdered prophets, when in fact they were cut from the same cloth as the persecutors and murderers: they too had murderous blood in their veins (This "woe" foreshadows the Pharisees' eventual condemnation of Jesus himself, as well.) (Matt 23:29-36)
Lyn

Postby Pondero » April 9th, 2017, 12:58 pm

I only count seven "woes " from verse 13 to 29 of Matthew chapter 23. However, preceding the hypocrisy described by Jesus , he says to do what they say, not what they do., for they preach ,but do not practice
Let nothing disturb you.
All things are passing.
God alone never changes.
God alone suffices.

Pondero

Previous

Return to About Christianity