Did Jesus exist?

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Did Jesus exist?

Postby Sarniajoy » June 23rd, 2017, 10:21 am

https://www.indy100.com/article/histori ... ll-7801396

I am of the opinion a guy called Jesus probably existed 2000 years ago, but the gospel accounts of his life are highly exaggerated or just fiction.
Sarniajoy

Re: Did Jesus exist?

Postby Sprocket » June 23rd, 2017, 12:11 pm

You don't say.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby GregB » June 23rd, 2017, 1:51 pm

Groucho Marx said he wouldn't want to belong to a club that accepted him as a member. Point? That we set great store by our opinions, most of which are just a cobbled together mish mash of disparate notions posing as a coherent world view and so we shouldn't really give them any real value, other than as frail ego-boosters ("Ho! Ho! I know what's what."). If that gets us through "the dull day" (Roger Waters), fine, though it's just psychological lifebelts. However, if we really want to make something of life and our condition (beyond the merely biological), then we can learn from those whose wisdom is well ahead of our own patchwork of ideas. Some of these were real people, others were fictional characters, but there were life lessons to be learned regardless.

Now, whether Jesus was a real person or not (that's ultimately about faith, not opinions or one-sided sceptical history), his teachings were full of great wisdom and an inspiration to those seeking greater meaning in life and the test here is whether that is what motivates one or just one's own paltry 'wisdom'. I think he expressed that well (and perhaps in the name of other great sages) in these verses from Matthew 7:24-28:

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Sarniajoy » June 23rd, 2017, 2:21 pm

Some of what Jesus reputedly said and did was sensible. But humans can be sensible as well as stupid. However, we have no idea if what he is supposed to have said actually came out of his mouth.
Sarniajoy

Postby GregB » June 23rd, 2017, 2:44 pm

The teachings would still be wise and applicable to our lives whether they came from his mouth or not.

There's a Zen Buddhist parable about a finger pointing at the moon. Someone only stares at the finger instead of what it is pointing at.

I refer people to my previous post, a reasoned attempt to address the question which, hopefully, could be the basis for serious discussion rather than vacuous, one-liner, non-sequiturs.
Last edited by GregB on June 23rd, 2017, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Pondero » June 23rd, 2017, 3:28 pm

I think it is a daft question.Of course Jesus existed and the gospel accounts are true. Tacitus a Roman mentions in his Annals that "Jesus Christus " was crucified. Tacitus was a Roman historian who had no love for Christians.
I no longer have a copy of that book.I read it in a course called Classics in Translation many years ago.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Postby Theophilus » June 23rd, 2017, 6:30 pm

Yes, He did and still does.
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Sarniajoy » June 24th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Pondero wrote:I think it is a daft question.Of course Jesus existed and the gospel accounts are true. Tacitus a Roman mentions in his Annals that "Jesus Christus " was crucified. Tacitus was a Roman historian who had no love for Christians.
I no longer have a copy of that book.I read it in a course called Classics in Translation many years ago.

The guy might have been crucified, because he was a pain in the backside, but the gospels accounts of are pure fantasy, when describing things attributed to Jesus, which aren't credible, like the resurrection, imo.
Sarniajoy

Postby Sarniajoy » June 24th, 2017, 4:41 pm

Theophilus wrote:Yes, He did and still does.

You have no evidence to support that assertion.
Sarniajoy

Postby Pondero » June 24th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Sarniajoy wrote:
Pondero wrote:I think it is a daft question.Of course Jesus existed and the gospel accounts are true. Tacitus a Roman mentions in his Annals that "Jesus Christus " was crucified. Tacitus was a Roman historian who had no love for Christians.

The guy might have been crucified, because he was a pain in the backside, but the gospels accounts of are pure fantasy, when describing things attributed to Jesus, which aren't credible, like the resurrection, imo.

Thank God it is just your opinion which thinks so!
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Next

Return to About Christianity