Do we have a loving God in the Bible? Or a cruel God?

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: Do we have a loving God in the Bible? Or a cruel God?

Postby Lyn » December 8th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Sprocket wrote:I'm flattered that you think I'm an intellectual!
I have wondered if BHS is a bit Aspy: his obsession with logical fallacies is in line with Aspys' obsessions, and his non-stop sarcasm and insults could be related to a lack of social skills. It doesn't excuse him, though: he's obviously reasonably intelligent (though not the towering genius he flatters himself that he is), and it is possible for Aspys to avoid serious social gaffes by learning by rote what comes naturally to the rest of us.
(I agree with the Pope about the Lord's prayer: that line, as traditioanlly translated, has always struck me as wrong.)

I think Aspy fits well, Sprocket. Not the only one from what I remember.

Pondy, Sj doesn't pretend to be dumb, she doesn't have to act it :-).
Last edited by Lyn on February 2nd, 2018, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » February 2nd, 2018, 10:32 am

sarniajoy wrote:
Lyn wrote:Things must have changed over there Steve. When I was posting BHS was very popular :D but I honestly don't remember much of what he said now, only his name.
There's a group of pseuds who try to outdo and talk down to everyone else, they each have a certain mindset which does get tedious after a while; they never let anything go, perhaps they can't help themselves.

(Sarniajay may not be able to help herself either but in her case there's no chance of her outdoing or talking down to anyone ;) .)

BHS is still popular it is Sprocket who made an ass of himself with some of his posts!

I've just been reading R&E (I can't log in or post until 15th), and found BHS being his usual conceited, obnoxious, permanently-sarcastic self to someone else. When I go back in a fortnight, I will try not to lose my temper and tell him to go fuck himself again, which is what got me suspended, but it'll be hard. He really is an absolute little shit.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » February 2nd, 2018, 10:40 am

Sj: BHS is still popular it is Sprocket who made an ass of himself with some of his posts!

Like, how? No, I don't believe you. I didn't see it & think Sprocks was prob'ly wrong to tell the guy to F himself (the F word is always used liberally on R&E), but I remember how arrogant some of them are over there, a bunch of pseuds in an in-crowd, and Sprocks is always erudite.

How would you know anyway? You wouldn't in a million years understand what was being said so absolutely no point in you taking sides. You're just jumping on the bandwagon. A big fish in a small pond. Enjoy your fragile and meaningless popularity while it lasts.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » February 2nd, 2018, 1:48 pm

Someone over there has just made an ass of themself by being taken in by a spoof site claiming that left-handedness is sinful - 'Landover Baptist Church', which is satirical. Some people, eh, Sarnie? :roll:
Sprocket

Postby sarniajoy » February 2nd, 2018, 2:37 pm

Lyn wrote:Sj: BHS is still popular it is Sprocket who made an ass of himself with some of his posts!

Like, how? No, I don't believe you. I didn't see it & think Sprocks was prob'ly wrong to tell the guy to F himself (the F word is always used liberally on R&E), but I remember how arrogant some of them are over there, a bunch of pseuds in an in-crowd, and Sprocks is always erudite.

How would you know anyway? You wouldn't in a million years understand what was being said so absolutely no point in you taking sides. You're just jumping on the bandwagon. A big fish in a small pond. Enjoy your fragile and meaningless popularity while it lasts.

You are pathetic! :twisted:

If that idiot sprocket re-joins the forum I reckon he will be out on his arse very quickly, the rules have been tightened up so his nastiness will not be tolerated.

Anyway I was crazy to post on this forum again, it is not worth engaging with any of you lot. As an added disincentive I will pledge to donate £10,000 to charity if I am ever crazy enough to do so again.
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » February 2nd, 2018, 4:48 pm

Sprocket wrote:Someone over there has just made an ass of themself by being taken in by a spoof site claiming that left-handedness is sinful - 'Landover Baptist Church', which is satirical. Some people, eh, Sarnie? :roll:

Don't you mean, "LandRover Baptist Church"? You telling me left-handedness isn't sinful :o ?

When you go back to R&E, just ignore anyone who winds you up. It's not worth the hassle.
I feel we shouldn't be talking about other forums or people on them unless there's something good to say.
-----------------

Sarnie, I don't understand why you've got it in for Sprocket this time around, you used to be OK with him. He's far from being an idiot.

Up to you of course whether or not you post here. You don't really engage in discussions though.
Lyn

Postby maz » April 13th, 2018, 8:50 pm

He is Love - He is Jesus.
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
http://gracewalkministries.blogspot.com ... trong.html
maz

Postby maz » April 13th, 2018, 8:53 pm

sorry, reading above - I wish I could 'like' posts, to encourage others...
Yes, I am used to Facebook (it is a one stop visit for connecting with my many relatives, friends (even 20+ schoolfriends! (from over 40 years ago) :O ) and interest Groups).
But I do love the format in forums, and hope they never die.
I don’t want to be known for the things I’m against, but for the things I am for... but....A person who loves flowers will hate weeds
maz

Postby Sprocket » April 13th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Forums are not as active as they used to be, largely, as you say, thanks to Mr Zuckerberg's baby and others, but there are advantages and disadvantages to both.
Last edited by Sprocket on April 13th, 2018, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprocket

Postby maz » April 13th, 2018, 10:03 pm

yes...I had a forum - with a lot of good posts on - I feel guilty that it was deleted by the software owners - as I just didn't have the time to attend to it in the last few years...
grateful that someone (S & T?) is looking after this one...that stragglers like me can visit it again
maz

Previous

Return to About Christianity