Do we have a loving God in the Bible? Or a cruel God?

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Do we have a loving God in the Bible? Or a cruel God?

Postby Pondero » November 7th, 2017, 10:53 am

Sarniajoy is constantly stating God is a psycho God, inferring God is a cruel God as described in the Bible
I would like to discuss this as I see no evidence of it in the New Testament,. I would like an example of a cruel God, so we can start the discussion.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Re: Do we have a loving God in the Bible? Or a cruel God?

Postby GregB » November 7th, 2017, 1:01 pm

There is nothing in the New Testament which suggests anything like a cruel God. On the contrary, everything Jesus Christ preached was against any kind of violence. He told us to "turn the other cheek" and "love your enemies", plus many more examples of his non-violence, and, as he made clear, he spoke in the name of God, so it is up to sniping critics to find any evidence in the NT for a cruel God.

The Old Testament was a record of the crude reception of the monotheistic revelation and it was then limited by the semi-primitive culture of the Israelites to whom it was granted, still part of brutal, warring societies of those times. However, contained in many such texts, flawed by immediate circumstances (do we ever transcend our own history of the moment?) are the many enlightened prophetic pointers to a future complete revelation of God's purposes for fallen humanity, which would be accomplished in Jesus Christ and the new humanity he established in his church.
"A fat woman is trying to diet while an ageing spinster is dying to try it."
- Anon
GregB

Postby Sprocket » November 7th, 2017, 1:32 pm

What Greg said.
Don't expect a reply from Sarnie - she restricts herself to saying that the God of the Bible is a psychopath, and there's no evidence that he exists, at regular intervals, but reasoned argument is not her forte.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » November 7th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Plus the fact that she has phases of posting on here and therefore phases of not.
I hope she does respond to this though.

When I (& Pondy) first knew her on the BBC forum some fifteen years or more ago, when she was Tagnefedd Gower, she said she was a Christian.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » November 7th, 2017, 9:56 pm

I have been up north all day, and I have nothing more to add at present.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » November 7th, 2017, 10:20 pm

Well you set it up initially for Sarniajay to discuss the topic, as she has such strong feelings about it. Let's hope she returns soon.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » November 8th, 2017, 10:40 am

If she doesn't want to back up what she says when questioned on very important topics then she should not say it.We can't stop her doing so but we can criticize her for it or ignore her. I don't think she should be allowed to get away with it.The same as Ms .Juliette Payette was not allowed to go free without criticism the other day, and she is our Governor General.
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » November 8th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Well you could always send her a PM and tell her that you started a thread to which you would like her to contribute. I say that because I think she goes long periods without even looking at this forum.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » November 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm

I'll pm her on religion and ethics.
Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » November 9th, 2017, 10:25 pm

I p.m.d her; she said she'd rather give it a miss.
Sprocket

Next

Return to About Christianity