Do we have a loving God in the Bible? Or a cruel God?

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: Do we have a loving God in the Bible? Or a cruel God?

Postby GregB » December 8th, 2017, 8:45 am

She has her own life and rarely looks in, as Steve says. I think she just lets the forum go its own way, trusting in the members (mostly veterans of the board) to follow the rules. When you bear in mind the R&E forum and its serial bannings at the drop of a moderator's hat, which make Stalin's purges look like a tea party, you'd have thought it evident that we respect the freedom we have, albeit within reasonable rules of conduct.

The red exclamation mark in the bottom right-hand corner of each post is for reporting any serious infringements of the rules, by the way, though I know Sally would prefer that conflicts were settled by the members themselves.
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Lyn » December 8th, 2017, 10:34 am

Pondero wrote:Where is she?
I was in two minds whether to make a complaint about being called names by Sarniajoy, but did not do so.

Pondy there have been far worse insults over the years on here than you being called sexist. Don't be such a wimp. I said you came over as misogynistic which is a more polite way of saying the same.
Sj likes to talk 'rough', it is a norty thing to her.

You've complained in the past about something (not to do with SJ), iirc. Actually I do recall correctly! It was hilarious.

None of this is to do with Christianity.

What does everyone think about the Pope's comments on the Lord'sPrayer?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... er-changed
Lyn

Postby Lyn » December 8th, 2017, 10:53 am

Sprocket wrote:What I got from British Home Stores was non-stop, laboured sarcasm about any opinion I posted, and him thinking he'd found, or pretending to find, logical fallacies in most of them - pure nonsense, of course. The last straw was when, after I mentioned quantum uncertainty in some connection, he made fun of me yet again, and then said "this will be beyond you, but..." followed by a very patronising explanation, as if I didn't know what it was, which I do, at least in layman's terms. He is a complete and utter arsehole.
Lyn is absolutely right about the pseuds; what a bunch of wankers! On one unbelievably pretentious thread, I posted, in giant red moving capital letters (i.e. moving from left to right - you can do that over there) DANGER- PRETENTIOUSNESS AT CRITICAL LEVEL!.

Sounds fairly typical Steve.
You are an intelligent and intellectual person but don't feel the need to flaunt it.
Never mind, you'll know to avoid the pseuds when and if you go back.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » December 8th, 2017, 10:57 am

Lyn wrote:
Pondero wrote:Where is she?
I was in two minds whether to make a complaint about being called names by Sarniajoy, but did not do so.

Pondy there have been far worse insults over the years on here than you being called sexist. Don't be such a wimp. I said you came over as misogynistic which is a more polite way of saying the same.
Sj likes to talk 'rough', it is a norty thing to her.

You've complained in the past about something (not to do with SJ), iirc. Actually I do recall correctly! It was hilarious.

None of this is to do with Christianity.

What does everyone think about the Pope's comments on the Lord'sPrayer?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... er-changed

Ok so I am a misogynistic wimp Lyn :beg:
I knew the meaning of misogynism when you first wrote it, although I have difficulty spelling it.....are you happy now :yahoo:

I will try to enjoy my coffee now . And greetings to all.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » December 8th, 2017, 11:01 am

Because I was polite in my phraseology, you explained your position and I was pleased with that. Thank you.

We must make allowances for people who know nothing about manners and have less than one brain cell. "There but for the grace.." etc."
Lyn

Postby Lyn » December 8th, 2017, 11:10 am

Sprocket wrote:What I got from British Home Stores was non-stop, laboured sarcasm about any opinion I posted, and him thinking he'd found, or pretending to find, logical fallacies in most of them - pure nonsense, of course. The last straw was when, after I mentioned quantum uncertainty in some connection, he made fun of me yet again, and then said "this will be beyond you, but..." followed by a very patronising explanation, as if I didn't know what it was, which I do, at least in layman's terms. He is a complete and utter arsehole.
Lyn is absolutely right about the pseuds; what a bunch of wankers! On one unbelievably pretentious thread, I posted, in giant red moving capital letters (i.e. moving from left to right - you can do that over there) DANGER- PRETENTIOUSNESS AT CRITICAL LEVEL!.

I wasn't there Sprocks from what you say my opinion is you were right to be offended. I don't remember BHS as being the only pseud, there were a group of them. Best to avoid, they're happier talking amongst themselves.

9I see Sj hasn't returned today to reply to anything said on previous page.)
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » December 8th, 2017, 12:43 pm

I'm flattered that you think I'm an intellectual!
I have wondered if BHS is a bit Aspy: his obsession with logical fallacies is in line with Aspys' obsessions, and his non-stop sarcasm and insults could be related to a lack of social skills. It doesn't excuse him, though: he's obviously reasonably intelligent (though not the towering genius he flatters himself that he is), and it is possible for Aspys to avoid serious social gaffes by learning by rote what comes naturally to the rest of us.
I agree with the Pope about the Lord's prayer: that line, as traditioanlly translated, has always struck me as wrong.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » December 8th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Lyn wrote:9I see Sj hasn't returned today to reply to anything said on previous page.)
Her style is to parachute in every few months, insult and annoy everybody, and then bugger off again. She's probably done so now.
Brendan Behan once went on a lecture tour of Canada. On his arrival, a reporter asked him why he'd come to Canada. Behan replied "I saw an advert that said 'Drink Canada Dry', and I thought 'I'll try anything once!'"
Sprocket

Postby GregB » December 8th, 2017, 2:30 pm

Pondy there have been far worse insults over the years on here than you being called sexist. Don't be such a wimp.

The insult wasn't just being called 'sexist' - it was being called a 'creep' as well, and that is plainly offensive. Old age may not render us exempt from all criticism but it does, at least, ask for a certain degree of respect, including that in language employed.
We must make allowances for people who know nothing about manners and have less than one brain cell.

No. The rules of the board are clear (as I maintained earlier) and accessible in understanding to anyone with a modicum of intelligence. There is no reason to 'make allowances' for people who are consistently offensive and belittle the sincerely-held beliefs of others. Indeed, the reasonable rules of the board do not allow such concessions.

In any event, SJ is from an old established Guernsey family who, presumably, did know a thing or two about manners. Ipso facto...
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
- T.S.Eliot 'Four Quartets'.
GregB

Postby Pondero » December 8th, 2017, 3:26 pm

GregB wrote:
Pondy there have been far worse insults over the years on here than you being called sexist. Don't be such a wimp.

The insult wasn't just being called 'sexist' - it was being called a 'creep' as well, and that is plainly offensive. Old age may not render us exempt from all criticism but it does, at least, ask for a certain degree of respect, including that in language employed.
We must make allowances for people who know nothing about manners and have less than one brain cell.

No. The rules of the board are clear (as I maintained earlier) and accessible in understanding to anyone with a modicum of intelligence. There is no reason to 'make allowances' for people who are consistently offensive and belittle the sincerely-held beliefs of others. Indeed, the reasonable rules of the board do not allow such concessions.

In any event, SJ is from an old established Guernsey family who, presumably, did know a thing or two about manners. Ipso facto...

SJ is not as dumb as she pretends to be, and can be quite vicious.She bears watching with care in future.
“ignorance of the fact that man has a wounded nature inclined to evil gives rise to serious errors in the areas of education, politics, social action, and morals” (#407).
Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Pondero

PreviousNext

Return to About Christianity