Pope Francis to Visit ireland

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Pope Francis to Visit ireland

Postby Val » December 19th, 2017, 7:06 pm

Pope Francis will visit Ireland in August next year for the world meeting of families, last time we had a Papal visit was in 1979 from an equally fine man Pope John Paul II and one million people went to see and hear him in the Phoenix Park in Dublin.
Times have changed and I wonder what Ireland will do for Francis visit, the Archbishop of Dublin said on radio the other day that the visit will cost € 20,000.000 Twenty million Euros minimum.

I don't know why it costs so much as me and herindoors visited Rome last April for a week and it only cost about € 1,400.00 including flights and hotel (but not counting my drinking habit or gifts).

Now regardless of religion I like Pope Francis but is the visit worth Twenty Million Euros, one reason is that at the moment in Ireland we have some 8,000 working people homeless in that they do not have a permanent address, in the most part the government houses them in hotels because they could not afford rents or mortgages, the average rent for a 3 bed semi-detached house on the outside of Dublin not closer than 15 kilometres is € 1,600 per month, in the city single rooms are costing that per month, it is madness but the prices are going up and experts claim that by summer 2018 average prices will reach € 1,800 per month

Couples hoping to buy a home have to show that they can save minimum of € 40,000 euros before the banks or agents will even meet them for mortgage advice.

So back to our homeless, well € 24,000.000 would build 120 * 3 bed (non luxury) semi-detached houses on the outskirts of Dublin/ Cork/Galway.

Which is more important a visit by a very nice 81 year old religious leader or house 120 families
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
John Stuart Mill

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Val

Re: Pope Francis to Visit ireland

Postby Lyn » December 19th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Who is going to be paying for the visit, Val? If it is the government you have some cause to moan a bit. Obviously, even if the gov isn't forking out for it all there will be a large police turnout. Maybe Catholics themselves are paying for the visit.

People often talk about events costing a lot and countries unable to justify the expense, etc, think of bigger things such as the Olympics, but such things can give a big boost to morale.

I'd think Pope Francis would go down quite well.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » December 19th, 2017, 10:54 pm

As The Vatican is a country and the Pope is head of state, then the country he visits pays for the visit.
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » December 20th, 2017, 12:12 am

Thanks for the information, Pondy, I wasn't sure.

Val I wonder if the papal visit to Ireland will cost as much as you think, it seems an awful lot of money. I understand where you're coming from but do the majority of Catholics want Pope Francis to visit Ireland? That's the question really. I imagine there will be much joy if he does. Governments waste far more money on all sorts of odd things but this would be a big event.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » December 20th, 2017, 12:56 am

I think it is food, security and accommodation that are the principal costs of any state visit .The Pope should have free accommodation at some bishop or others residence, and volunteers will look after the crowds.
When Pope John Paul 11 first visited Toronto at Downsvuew, I was one of many volunteers (crowd control I think).
According to one study, the average adult has a shorter attention span (eight seconds) than a goldfish (nine seconds).
This is not surprising in today's wired , or wified world.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » December 20th, 2017, 9:15 pm

I honestly don't believe the trip will cost e20,000,000 sounds like media hype to me.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » January 22nd, 2018, 9:12 am

Pondero wrote:As The Vatican is a country and the Pope is head of state, then the country he visits pays for the visit.

A complete waste of money, the flipping RCC should fork out for the guy's visit.
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » January 22nd, 2018, 10:22 am

Oh stop it Sj. If the Irish didn't want him, he wouldn't be going there. Anyway the "RCC'"as you call them are forking out a lot for the visit and the church in Ireland will provide hospitality for those who accompany him.

The Pope is not just the head of the Catholic Church, he is a head of state. Maybe you didn't know that. Heads of state from elsewhere come here, go to Ireland and elsewhere, also to the Vatican State and no-one talks about the expense then, which is much the same. Theresa May has been to the Vatican officially.

The Irish will doubtless enjoy his visit- most of them. It'll be like a party.
Lyn

Postby sarniajoy » January 22nd, 2018, 10:35 am

Lyn wrote:Oh stop it Sj. If the Irish didn't want him, he wouldn't be going there. Anyway the "RCC'"as you call them are forking out a lot for the visit and the church in Ireland will provide hospitality for those who accompany him.

The Pope is not just the head of the Catholic Church, he is a head of state. Maybe you didn't know that. Heads of state from elsewhere come here, go to Ireland and elsewhere, also to the Vatican State and no-one talks about the expense then, which is much the same. Theresa May has been to the Vatican officially.

The Irish will doubtless enjoy his visit- most of them. It'll be like a party.

I think it is crazy for the vatican to be considered a state, just because the pope is the head of RCC. The dogma spewing from the vatican has done so much harm since its inception.
sarniajoy

Postby Lyn » January 22nd, 2018, 10:44 am

Well then start a petition. Fact is, it is a state whether we like it or not.
I've actually known people who have gone and worked there for a while and they thought it was a great state and had a great time! That's hearsay of course, I've never been and doubt I will but have to say I've never heard a word against the place. It seems a happy place. You don't have to be religious to work there, people do ordinary jobs. Fluent Italian is a must of course.
Lyn

Next

Return to About Christianity