Pope Francis to Visit ireland

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Re: Pope Francis to Visit ireland

Postby Iamme » January 25th, 2018, 11:23 am

Lyn wrote:
Frankie wouldn't be going to Ireland if it was to visit members of that doctrine.

I don't understand what you mean. He will be visiting the country to meet Catholics.
Ireland has moved on in leaps and bounds in recent times, no longer in the grip of the Catholic Church. Yet there are an enormous amount of Catholics, most quite liberal in outlook, who will be pleased to see the Pope in their land and have a jolly good celebration while he's there. I don't see anything wrong with that if it's what people want.

I'm half Irish (Ulster). Can't say I feel any particular affinity to Ireland though.

I just took on Southern Irish Nationality in 2008 to wind up my mother as she couldn't stand her late unlamened Irish mother-in-law, nor could I for that matter. In the end I didn't tell the old girl what I had done.
Iamme

Postby Sprocket » January 25th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Lucky you - you'll still be an EU citizen when (or if) we leave.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby Iamme » January 25th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Sprocket wrote:Lucky you - you'll still be an EU citizen when (or if) we leave.

I will thank goodness. I have a heard a lot of Brits are applying for Irish citizenship to protect them from Brexit, especially if they go to EU countries regularly. One of my sisters and her husband own a second home in Bruges, which they visit every couple of weeks, or so.
Iamme

Postby Sprocket » January 25th, 2018, 5:30 pm

It seems we agree on something, then - the disastrousness of Bwrecksit. I believe you need one Irish grandparent to qualify for an Irish passport. Unfortunately, all mine were English or Scotch.*

I used to write "Scotch" rather than "Scottish" on here just to piss off Dale, a former member, who insisted, wrongly, that "Scotch" only applied to whisky. It does nowadays, but until the mid-20th century it was a class thing: "Scotch" was U, "Scottish" non-U. I suppose then only the posh would have drunk whisky much, hence the name.
"I'm fucking busy, and vice versa" - Dorothy Parker.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » January 25th, 2018, 8:26 pm

I was told Scot or Scots was preferable to both Scotch an Scottish.

Being as my Irish bit is Northern Ireland as opposed to the Republic I don't suppose it makes any difference to me regarding EU status.

Don't understand why you'd want to wind your mother up unless you were a teenager at the time Sj.
Lyn

Postby Iamme » January 26th, 2018, 8:41 am

Lyn wrote:I was told Scot or Scots was preferable to both Scotch an Scottish.

Being as my Irish bit is Northern Ireland as opposed to the Republic I don't suppose it makes any difference to me regarding EU status.

Don't understand why you'd want to wind your mother up unless you were a teenager at the time Sj.

I thought better of it, although the daft old bat spent her life winding me up. :shock: It was a relief for my sisters and I when she kicked the bucket in 2013. I have absolutely no iota of guilt for feeling that way about the woman. It was just a pity she didn't go before my father, who could have done with some good years without her being such a pain in the backside.
Iamme

Previous

Return to About Christianity