Transubstantiation

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Transubstantiation

Postby Sarniajoy » January 26th, 2018, 11:23 am

The definition of transubstantiation is the miraculous change by which according to Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox dogmas the eucharistic elements at their consecration become the body and blood of Jesus while keeping only the appearances of bread and wine.

I find it hard to fathom how anyone can actually believe the bread and wine actually turn into the body and blood of that long dead man. It is easy to prove beyond all doubt this is not the case. Besides which, the whole idea is revolting anyway.
Sarniajoy

Re: Transubstantiation

Postby Lyn » January 26th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Beliefs often seem off the wall but it's the business of those who believe them.

Transubstantiation is an important doctrine to Catholics, it isn't quite as you describe it.

Other than that, no comment.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 26th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Neither have I.
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 26th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Sj being as there is only one practising Catholic and one lapsed on here, you might do better to join a Catholic forum to ask questions about Transubstantiation. You don't have to be a Catholic to join. I warn you though, the ones I've seen are extremely traditional, made up of Catholic posters the like of which I've rarely come across in real life. That wouldn't bother you though being as you frequent extreme fundi type American forums, a doddle by comparison.

Do come back and tell us how you get on.
Lyn

Postby Sarniajoy » January 26th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Lyn wrote:Sj being as there is only one practising Catholic and one lapsed on here, you might do better to join a Catholic forum to ask questions about Transubstantiation. You don't have to be a Catholic to join. I warn you though, the ones I've seen are extremely traditional, made up of Catholic posters the like of which I've rarely come across in real life. That wouldn't bother you though being as you frequent extreme fundi type American forums, a doddle by comparison.

Do come back and tell us how you get on.

YAWN!
Sarniajoy

Return to About Christianity