Is euthania Christian and has it gone too far.

For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view.
Forum rules
For discussions about Christianity, from any point of view. Christians and those of any other faith or of none are equally welcome, provided they treat others with respect at all times.

Is euthania Christian and has it gone too far.

Postby Pondero » January 31st, 2018, 12:16 pm

I think euthanasia is certainly un- Christian, and this is where Pro-.life people have the edge over Pro abortionists. The following article shows the effect of 15 years of euthanasia in Belgium. Nurses are quitting their jobs as palliative care workers because they don't approve of killing people in their care.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/20 ... euthanasia.
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Re: Is euthania Christian and has it gone too far.

Postby Lyn » January 31st, 2018, 12:24 pm

I can imagine a culture of killing pervading society. Relief of suffering and not prolonging life unnecessarily is far better - and achievable in this day and age.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 31st, 2018, 12:48 pm

Lyn wrote:I can imagine a culture of killing pervading society. Relief of suffering and not prolonging life unnecessarily is far better - and achievable in this day and age.

How does one prolong life unnecessarily?
We live at a time ...characterized by a subliminal relativism that penetrates every area of life. Sometimes this relativism becomes aggressive, when it opposes those who say that they know where the truth or meaning of life is to be found. Benedict XV1.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 31st, 2018, 12:54 pm

I was thinking about people who are terminally ill Pondy, with not much time left. The most important thing is to give them plenty of TLC, keep them pain free and comfortable but not subject them to procedures or medication that might cause or prolong suffering. (Unless they want it of course, some people do.)
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 31st, 2018, 5:47 pm

It is the ( unless they want it if course) remark of yours Lyn, which if acted upon is euthanasia.
Pondero

Postby Lyn » January 31st, 2018, 6:02 pm

No, I meant unless they want to have more treatment, Pondy. There are people who do, even though terminally ill, because there is something particular they want to do before dying so they hang on. I did know someone like that many years ago who had an aim, unfortunately with all the treatment available he died before achieving it but he tried.
Last edited by Lyn on February 1st, 2018, 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » January 31st, 2018, 6:09 pm

Understood Lyn.
Pondero

Postby gone » February 1st, 2018, 8:32 am

I have absolutely no problem with giving terminally ill patients the medication to relieve their pain, even if in strong doses it will mean they die sooner rather than later. When my father was in bad pain, during the end stages of prostate cancer in 2005, we insisted his medication was upped so it was relieved. We were informed it would end his life, which it did a few hours later, much to our relief.

I also think people should have the right to end their lives, with help if necessary, if they are terminally ill, or have a distressing illness which makes their life a misery.
gone

Postby Lyn » February 1st, 2018, 1:26 pm

Sj: I have absolutely no problem with giving terminally ill patients the medication to relieve their pain, even if in strong doses it will mean they die sooner rather than later.

That is not euthanasia Sj, it's palliative care. The main purpose of the medication is to relieve pain, other consequences are secondary to that.

(Stop making your posts so personal about you and yours!)
Lyn

Postby gone » February 1st, 2018, 1:36 pm

Lyn wrote:Sj: I have absolutely no problem with giving terminally ill patients the medication to relieve their pain, even if in strong doses it will mean they die sooner rather than later.

That is not euthanasia Sj, it's palliative care. The main purpose of the medication is to relieve pain, other consequences are secondary to that.

(Stop making your posts so personal about you and yours!)

Why shouldn't I make my posts personal, what is your problem with that?
gone

Next

Return to About Christianity