The Dead Thread

For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly
Forum rules
For general chat on any topic, as long as it stays friendly

Re: The Dead Thread

Postby Lyn » March 12th, 2018, 6:24 am

Ken Dodd has died aged 90. He was well known for doing very long shows which did not bore the audience one bit! A very funny man (my in-laws & mum loved him). He married his long term partner, Anne, just a couple of days before he died, bless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43367267
Lyn

Postby GregB » March 12th, 2018, 10:05 am

He was one of those performers whose longevity made it seem that he had been around forever, like the late Bruce Forsyth. He also had the gift of making people laugh just by his presence on stage. His humour was of the more innocent variety and he was unique in combining the role of stand-up comedian with that of the clown. I was never very keen on his overly sentimental songs, but they were secondary to his main career as a comedian. RIP, Ken (especially if your tickling stick doesn't go into your coffin!)
"Caminante, no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." ("Traveller, there is no path, you make the path as you walk.")
- Antonio Machado (Spanish poet, 1875-1939.)
GregB

Postby Sprocket » March 12th, 2018, 2:00 pm

I saw him live with my parents and sister in (I think) Morecambe, some time in the early 60s.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby GregB » March 14th, 2018, 8:04 am

Stephen Hawking has gone to the great black hole in the sky at the age of 76. He had a type of motor neurone disease from the age of 22 which is normally fatal within a few years at most, so Hawking's long life following the onset of the disease is remarkable. His contributions to physics and cosmology were great advances in those fields and one can only marvel at his capacity for such efforts while trapped in that inert body. Everyone has a copy of his best-selling book, 'A Brief History of Time', on their bookshelves, but - as the video clip in the link comments - probably very few have actually read it (I tried but gave up after a few pages.)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43396008
"Caminante, no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." ("Traveller, there is no path, you make the path as you walk.")
GregB

Postby Lyn » March 14th, 2018, 10:02 am

Ah! Haven't read any news yet.
He did brilliantly well to reach 76 with MND.
We'll have lots of programmes on TV in tribute to Stephen Hawking now.
Lyn

Postby Pondero » March 14th, 2018, 10:57 am

On September 6, 2010 I wrote the following under the thread titled Hawking's at it Again.
I haven't read anything by Hawking so I can't say Sprocket, but you are probably right. When he was a schoolboy Tony Hendra a writer for films, I believe that is what he does , used to bully Hawking into doing his calculus homework, at St. Alban's school. Hendra and other bully friends used to get top marks in the term -but, alas, when it came to exam time Hawking was grinning at them after finishing his exam in less than half the required time while Hendra et al, failed calculus.

Tony Hendra wrote about him in his book, "Father Joe, The Man who Saved my Soul".
If your mind is your brain and your brain is just material , would you rely on it?
John Lennox
Pondero

Postby Lyn » March 14th, 2018, 11:11 am

I was given a copy of "A Brief History of Time" as a present when it was first published. I persevered with it but can't say I remember much about it now. As it must be around somewhere I might give it another go. Or maybe not.
Lyn

Postby Sprocket » March 14th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Damn - beaten to it here as well. I started a thread about him on R&E just now, only to find there was already one in another part of the forum.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
Sir John Harington (1561-1620)
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » March 14th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Tbh, I was more interested in him than his science. I loved the dramatised story of his young life as a student, his diagnosis and his first marriage in which Benedict Cumberbatch played Stephen Hawking. Have also enjoyed documentaries about him. Will probably enjoy them all again and a few new ones in the next few weeks!
Lyn

Postby GregB » March 14th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Haven't you seen the highly praised 2014 film, 'The Theory of Everything'? It has Eddie Redmayne as Hawking and he gives an excellent performance. The film traces Hawking's life from his university days as a young undergraduate through the onset of his illness to recent times. The different stages of his illness are brilliantly acted by Redmayne and he actually manages to resemble him, even in his most chronic phase (see the link.)

http://www.wingclips.com/system/movie-c ... _large.jpg
GregB

PreviousNext

Return to Chatterbox