Which psalm, and why?

For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up.
Forum rules
For Christians to talk about their faith together, and build one another up. Non-Christians may post here but should respect the Christian emphasis of this section.

Re: Which psalm, and why?

Postby Sweet Peace » July 20th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Amen. Bless Sanish and all who are persecuted for their faith in Christ.
Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.
Sweet Peace

Postby Sweet Peace » December 7th, 2010, 9:34 am

Psalm 13 spoke to my heart today. I'd slipped on the wet concrete and banged my knee badly (on crutches now - God bless us, every one!) and as soon as I was able to get to lie down I opened my Bible and read this Psalm and it brought comfort and acceptance and calm. The enemies in verse two I could see as negative emotional states of late. Read two Psalms and have a lie down is a standard remedy of mine. :)

1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me for ever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I bear pain in my soul,
and have sorrow in my heart all day long?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?

3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God!
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
4 and my enemy will say, ‘I have prevailed’;
my foes will rejoice because I am shaken.

5 But I trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.
Sweet Peace

Postby SwordOfTheSpirit » December 8th, 2010, 5:04 pm

I started to read Psalm 27 today, one I'll be using to use to pray into for the persecuted church, in particular Asia Bibi and the Christians in Iraq.

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When the wicked advance against me
to devour me,
it is my enemies and my foes
who will stumble and fall.
3 Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then I will be confident.

Hmm...think I'll be on this one for some time!
SwordOfTheSpirit

Postby Sweet Peace » December 8th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Yes, 27 is a great Psalm. The online prayer group I have the pleasure to meet with a few times a week is going through the Psalms, one each week. We shared 27 last week and it became a favourite. It has popped up in a few places since.
Sweet Peace

Postby different glory » January 9th, 2012, 1:36 am

I've been looking at the psalms in the third book of psalms recently, one by one, with friends. So far we've read up to Psalm 77; soon we move on to 78. I've been interested by how much (so far) this set of psalms all seem to be exploring one main theme -- how to deal with the passing of the days when Israel felt that God was on their side, and protected them, when his judgement seemed clear and immediate. They feel to me very modern in tone, since we are grappling with the same questions now.

73 reflects on the prosperity of the wicked – how dictators and oppressors seem to get away with it. “they speak loftily”, it says – and so they do today. Bankers and entrepreneurs and politicians who have crushed millions into poverty manage to take holidays in luxury and “loftily” give opinions about the poor should work harder to succeed. Even dictators die smug and unrebuked with their crimes still stinking of blood and terror.

74 asks why destroyers triumph, while those who have committed themselves to God have no clear understanding of why, or for how long the reign of violence will last.

75 declared that, despite the appearance of the triumph of evil, God will judge, and that he does sustain, always.

76 looked forward to the time when God will break all the arrows of war and the return of justice with his judgement.

77 reflected on how the writer’s “spirit was overwhelmed” at the recollection of how God had once seemed to love and protect, but now it seemed as he had thrown his people aside; nevertheless, the writer resolved to remember and to meditate on, and to talk about God’s works.

And we haven't discussed 78 yet, but having had a sneak preview, I'm thinking it's where the writer follows up on the resolve in Psalm 77! :grin:
That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. - Psalm 26
different glory

Previous

Return to The Christian bit