Game for International Book Week

Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?
Forum rules
Reviews, recommendations, books to avoid. What have you been reading?

Re: Game for International Book Week

Postby Lyn » September 24th, 2012, 5:49 pm

(I was not being gentle, yes I was disappointed that Bruce didn't return here but agree with Bev that he was often made to feel unwelcome - we could mention others who no longer post, Rosemary Hannah springs to mind, as does gwinnie. As for Bruce's beliefs being wishy washy, he is as entitled to his beliefs as we are to ours. This is not a Christian forum (Sally and Tim will confirm this), though the majority of posters are Christian of one type or another and the forum has a Christian flavour.)

I meant Theo's quotation, not Pal's. sorry. I am still thinking Thomas Merton.
Lyn

Postby GregB » September 24th, 2012, 6:33 pm

...but agree with Bev that he was often made to feel unwelcome

Again, I disagree (and Bev admits she has no evidence of that; it was merely a supposition.) It's one thing to criticise someone's views, even poke fun at them, and quite another to express hostility and make a person feel unwelcome. I maintain that Bruce was not a victim of the latter.
...we could mention others who no longer post, Rosemary Hannah springs to mind, as does gwinnie.

Not my fault. Rosemary left after a regrettable misunderstanding involving her own son and she was unyielding in not accepting the (sincere) explanation proffered. Gwinnie just got fed up with the cut and thrust of debate, as she said more than once herself, and she has been working full time for some time now, so she probably has little time for the luxury of posting, especially with a young kiddie at home as well. Actually, many others have dropped out too (it's normal on these boards) - I'm thinking right now of young Tom, for example, and my old posting chum Brenda - and I'm not sure why you instanced those two. (Well...)

On the rest of your post, I didn't say Bruce's beliefs were 'wishy washy'. On the contrary, though I found them nonsensical, they did seem to be sincerely held by him. It would have been just so good to help him out with his ostensible return to Christian belief, had he only stayed around and let us. As to the nature of this forum, although it may not be overtly Christian, I think it's understood that it is implicitly Christian, at least in terms of most of its members (or those who remain!) as you say and, after all, the name of the forum itself surely says something about it. In fact, atheists and unbelievers get a pretty square deal here, I'd say, especially compared with some forums most of us here know where Christians are subjected to snide ridicule by the atheist majority.
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child."
- Cicero
GregB

Postby Theophilus » September 24th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Greg was right, later confirmed by Sprocket, that the book was Augustine's Confessions. I'm afraid Vix, that given the trajectory of his life and where he ended up before his death, I wouldn't touch any semi-biographical works by Thomas Merton with a bargepole, even if they were written when he was younger.

St Silouan had a strongly religious experience as a child but didn't do anything to nurture his spiritual life and slipped into the usual youthful ways - not particularly bad, but as Pal says he strictly reproached himself afterwards because in living this way he was more culpable due to his direct experience of the grace of God as a child. There was one specific example of waywardness that Silouan later regretted though: in his late teens he was accosted by another drunken youth who tried to steal his accordion. Not wanting to embarrass himself in front of the local girls, Silouan punched the other youth in the chest so hard that he almost died.

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets ... luan_e.htm
It's later than you think!
Theophilus

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Lyn » September 24th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Ah well, well done to Sprocks.
Didn't Pal do a quote? I can't find it.
Lyn

Postby GregB » September 24th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Ah well, well done to Sprocks.

And not "Well done to Greg"? After all, Theo did say:
"Greg was right, later confirmed by Sprocket, that the book was Augustine's Confessions."
Didn't Pal do a quote? I can't find it.

It was:
"I can well believe it - they are female Jesuits"
And he later explained that it came from volume 3 of Casanova's Memoirs.

Theo's comments on Merton will be a reference to his flirtation in later life with Eastern philosophy and religion. As I recall, he died in a hotel room somewhere in the Orient electrocuted either by his electric razor or a faulty lamp connection - I'm not certain which it was.
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child."
- Cicero
GregB

Postby Sprocket » September 25th, 2012, 7:18 am

According to what I read years ago, it was an electric fan.
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » September 25th, 2012, 8:09 am

Yes it was an electric fan. 'The Seven Storey Mountain' was very good, Merton was a bit eccentric though.
I would never have guessed that quote was from Augustine's Confessions though I read the Confessions years ago, which gave me the creeps!
Lyn

Postby Poncho » September 25th, 2012, 12:18 pm

I don't think either of the two books closest to me would work (I skipped this on Facebook, because I only had my Kindle with me... and the office I have paper reading matter) - one has a new chapter starting on the relevant page, and doesn't have 5 sentences on it, and the other is in Afrikaans! (Both South African authors!)
Poncho

Postby Sprocket » September 26th, 2012, 8:27 am

Give us the Afrikaans one - could be interesting!
Supercrappyfarcicalishbrexitisatrocious.
Sprocket

Postby Lyn » September 26th, 2012, 10:25 am

Yes indeed, we do know of some South African novelists and even if we don't, we could do a bit of research and guess.
Lyn

PreviousNext

Return to Book club